Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've recently become interested in vampire fiction, however, I haven't read a book in ages so I'm looking for something that is preferably not too long but still an enjoyable read.

Currently, I'm trying to decide between Fledgling by Octavia E Butler and Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton. Which do you think I should start with.

If you have any other suggestion please do put them forward. At the moment I am looking for something a little more modern rather than a 'classic' but I'll keep any oldies in mind (should you mention them) for future reading

Vampire fiction that I've already read includes

Dracula
    The Historian - Kostova
    I Am Legend
    Twilight and New Moon (don't hate me)
    The Vampyre - Polidori
    Carmilla - Le Fanu
    Interview with the Vampire - Rice

ReputationRep:
    Darren Shan, the Vampire`s Assistant series , there are about 11 books in the series, but it is truly AMAZING

ReputationRep:
    Guilty Pleasures :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    The Discovery of witches trilogy-Deborah Harkness. It's not just about vampires but witches and daemons too. It also turns all the conceptions of vampires on its head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNightCircus)
    The Discovery of witches trilogy-Deborah Harkness. It's not just about vampires but witches and daemons too. It also turns all the conceptions of vampires on its head.
    THIS.
    I loved it and I don't even like vampire fiction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobbieShamrock)
    THIS.
    I loved it and I don't even like vampire fiction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know right. I usually don't go into vamp fiction but my mum recommended them and once I'd read the first one I couldn't wait for them all to come out. They are really good. And I so didn't expect what the Ashmole book would do to Diana in the last book.
    TheNightCircus

ReputationRep:
    The captive series by Erica Stevens

ReputationRep:
    as above, darren shan
    salem's lot - stephen king
    lost souls - poppy brite
    necroscope - brian lumley
    fate - dc gambel

ReputationRep:
    Vampire Academy

ReputationRep:
    And kindred by Erica Stevens
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I read the first couple of books set in Russia during Napoleon's invasion called the Danilov Quintet, which were very good. It's the next series I plan on rereading and finishing :yep:

(Original post by Mav455)
    Darren Shan, the Vampire`s Assistant series , there are about 11 books in the series, but it is truly AMAZING
    These books ruled my childhood!

ReputationRep:
    Stephen King - Salem's Lot is a very good book.

As are the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice - they are the original modern vamp novels IMO. So far I have read Interview with the Vampire; The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned.

For lighter reading I can recommend the Southern Vampire Mysteries AKA the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. Those are the books that the True Blood series were based on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently obsessed with The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith which, despite being poles apart from the TV series, are a good read. You should also check out Trust Me by Majorie Blackman which I devoured within days of getting it - shame it was never adapted into a film or TV series!

ReputationRep:
    Fevre Dream by George R R Martin.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely adore Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill - it's kick-ass!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.