The Student Room Group

Is it stupid not to see the university before you move there for study?

I am going to university this September, and have not had not seen the place that I will be moving to..

I have my place and will be moving up there, but the train ticket is rather expensive..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kasa
I am going to university this September, and have not had not seen the place that I will be moving to..

I have my place and will be moving up there, but the train ticket is rather expensive..

Probably better if you had looked but it's not the end of the world
not really.

I never visited my uni before going and I love it. I've always said that it was probably a good thing I didn't go because my first impressions of the place weren't great. I'd say if I had gone to an open day, especially if the weather was bad, the campus would have looked depressing and I'd have gone elsewhere...really glad I didn't.
Maybe try nationalexpress?

Applying to a university without visiting it is a big risk, especially if you're going there for an experience as well as the degree. For me, having the correct 'vibe' was important in choosing my university. I also wanted to see whether or not the place is worth paying £x to study at. I think it's foolish not to go and visit the place. If something cost ~£50000 (assuming three years tuition plus living costs), would you buy it without seeing it or trialling it?

If you just want the degree and are 'buying' the university logo on the certificate then that's a different story.
(edited 9 years ago)
If it's not too expensive it's probably a good idea if you have time.

Plenty of people never see the university before moving there though.

I know I'll see mine for the first time when I get there because I am in Canada and air fare to London is close to £1000.

The way I see it, if seeing the university in person will not possibly make you change your decision, there is really no point.
Reply 5
Original post by Like_A_G6
Maybe try nationalexpress?

Applying to a university without visiting it is a big risk, especially if you're going there for an experience as well as the degree. For me, having the correct 'vibe' was important in choosing my university. I also wanted to see whether or not the place is worth paying £x to study at. I think it's foolish not to go and visit the place. If something cost ~£50000 (assuming three years tuition plus living costs), would you buy it without seeing it or trialling it?

If you just want the degree and are 'buying' the university logo on the certificate then that's a different story.

But there are also other things about choosing a university - quality of teaching, etc.

If one of your options is so much better than others in terms of quality of teaching that you know you'll be there no matter what, why waste money visiting?

"just want the degree" and "buying the university logo" are not the only reasons why people choose a university without visiting. It's rational, logical decision making.

Also, this is the postgrad forum, so it won't be 3 years unless the OP is doing a PhD.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
But there are also other things about choosing a university - quality of teaching, etc.

If one of your options is so much better than others in terms of quality of teaching that you know you'll be there no matter what, why waste money visiting?

"just want the degree" and "buying the university logo" are not the only reasons why people choose a university without visiting. It's rational, logical decision making.

Also, this is the postgrad forum, so it won't be 3 years unless the OP is doing a PhD.

But how do you know whether the uni will have a better quality of teaching? What one person perceives as good methodology is different to what another might see as good teaching. If I had to pick which of the unis I applied to were best based on paper and reputation for teaching, I'd have probably gone to Bristol, but after visiting the departments, I chose Southampton as it was better suited to me and my life habits.

I understand your point on one uni being drastically better, but the reality is you're not going to apply to a 'bad' uni and a 'good' uni. Your choices are heavily restricted based on the calibre of student you are. Therefore, your uni choices will be very similar on paper, and any realy stand out differences will only become apparent when you visit the university.

All in all, I feel you should visit the university at least once prior to going there. As this is a postgrad forum section (didn't realise first time), I feel you should definitely view the university as it's your own upfront investment, it's not student finance.
Reply 8
Original post by Kasa

You'll only be there for a year. And with a Masters, you won't be seeing much beyond your room, lecture halls and the library anyway. Don't sweat it.
I'd never really seen Goldsmiths apart from the admissions office when I first went there. It's less important for postgrad. Klix88's response is spot on :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Klix88
You'll only be there for a year. And with a Masters, you won't be seeing much beyond your room, lecture halls and the library anyway. Don't sweat it.

I would have of course repped this but TSR says I have repped you to may times..

Great comment.
Original post by Kasa
I would have of course repped this but TSR says I have repped you to may times..

Great comment.

Dw, I've repped her :biggrin:
Original post by AngelPhys

Why do you post that gif in every thread you go on? :curious:
Reply 13
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Dw, I've repped her :biggrin:

I was gonna do the same for you as well but same problem..

What you studying at Goldsmiths?
Original post by Kasa
I was gonna do the same for you as well but same problem..

What you studying at Goldsmiths?

I'm not there now - was there from 2010-2012 part-time. Did a Masters in world/pop music :musicus:
Original post by StrangeBanana
Why do you post that gif in every thread you go on? :curious:

I find it funny, lol.
Original post by AngelPhys
I find it funny, lol.

Fair enough, hehe :tongue:
Original post by Like_A_G6
But how do you know whether the uni will have a better quality of teaching? What one person perceives as good methodology is different to what another might see as good teaching. If I had to pick which of the unis I applied to were best based on paper and reputation for teaching, I'd have probably gone to Bristol, but after visiting the departments, I chose Southampton as it was better suited to me and my life habits.

I understand your point on one uni being drastically better, but the reality is you're not going to apply to a 'bad' uni and a 'good' uni. Your choices are heavily restricted based on the calibre of student you are. Therefore, your uni choices will be very similar on paper, and any realy stand out differences will only become apparent when you visit the university.

All in all, I feel you should visit the university at least once prior to going there. As this is a postgrad forum section (didn't realise first time), I feel you should definitely view the university as it's your own upfront investment, it's not student finance.

That is true, but things like quality of teaching you can't really determine by visiting, either, unless you sneak into lectures, and even then it would just be a tiny sample.

I guess I just don't find the "vibe" as important for a 1 year course.

For me I was accepted into Imperial and another university that I will not name (not Cambridge), and it was pretty clear what I would choose even without visiting, since Imperial is much more reputable in my field (and by extension, I'm assuming teaching quality is at least pretty good - may not be a valid assumption, but visiting won't really help with that much). The vibe... well as long as it's not murderous I'm pretty sure I'll be OK.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
If it's not too expensive it's probably a good idea if you have time.

Plenty of people never see the university before moving there though.

I know I'll see mine for the first time when I get there because I am in Canada and air fare to London is close to £1000.

The way I see it, if seeing the university in person will not possibly make you change your decision, there is really no point.

Where in Canada? Is that one-way? Shouldn't cost £1000 unless you go 1st class brah
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Where in Canada? Is that one-way? Shouldn't cost £1000 unless you go 1st class brah

Vancouver. All flights from Vancouver International are very expensive. I can bus down to Seattle... but that's a lot of bus-ing.

That's round-trip.

Especially on weekends, and I would have to go on a weekend since I am working full time. If I go on weekdays the loss in salary would be even greater.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply