Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BTEC bedlam. Help! Converting BTEC to UCAS points Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I’m having some serious issues trying to convert my BTECs into UCAS points. I achieved the following at 6th form but I have been working full time since (3 years ago). I have looked at the tariff tables, but I am struggling because of the variations of the course. This is what Is printed on my certificates from 6th form.

Edexcel Level 3 BTEC National Award in IT Practioners with DISTINCTION.
    4 Units Completed at Distinction
    2 Units Completed at Pass

Edexcel Level 3 Certificate in Business (QCF) with MERIT
    **BTEC Level 3 Cert. (=50% OF NATIONAL AWARD 28-36)**

1 Unit Completed at Distinction

Since leaving 6th form in 2011 when I was awarded the above BTEC’s, I went on to do a Business Administration apprenticeship. I completed the apprenticeship and was awarded the following

National Vocational Qualification (QCF)
    EDEXCEL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Business and Administration (QCF)

If anyone would assist in converting these into UCAS points, I would be very grateful!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...qualifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc3867)
    Hey guys,

I’m having some serious issues trying to convert my BTECs into UCAS points. I achieved the following at 6th form but I have been working full time since (3 years ago). I have looked at the tariff tables, but I am struggling because of the variations of the course. This is what Is printed on my certificates from 6th form.

Since leaving 6th form in 2011 when I was awarded the above BTEC’s, I went on to do a Business Administration apprenticeship. I completed the apprenticeship and was awarded the following

If anyone would assist in converting these into UCAS points, I would be very grateful!
    I've had a look at the UCAS website (http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...btec-nationals), but that seemed a bit confusing, so I had a look at this document:

http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/fi...ats-report.pdf

On page 13, it says that 6 units, studied across 2 years in the sixth form is equivalent to about 1/3 of your time. From this, I assume that your first qualification, your BTEC in IT, is equivalent to one A level. Since they gave you a distinction overall, this is 120 UCAS points (equivlent to a grade A at A-level).

I'll see if I can find anything on the other two....

EDIT - the above might be wrong if you took the BTEC after August 2010

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Have a look at this document, page 7:

http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/fi...20report_0.pdf

It describes how the replacement units should be graded after August 2010. You Business certificate (approx half an A-level) at Merit is worth 40 UCAS points. This is confirmed at the UCAS tariff points at the heading: BTEC qualifications (QCF) (Suite of qualifications known as Nationals)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Finally, I assume that your diploma is awarded on the same basis, and tables suggest that this would be worth between 80 UCAS points (for PP) and 280 UCAS points (for D*D*).

However, PQ has given you a better answer here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2743254

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

you have 160 UCAS points from the BTECs, IT(120) and Business(40)

NVQs do not hold UCAS points although it will still be recognised as an achieved qualification on your application

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.