Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you do if you're yelled at in the street? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How do you respond when someone starts shouting stuff at you in the street?

I look after my grandma and she lives close by to me, I just have to walk down about ten streets. A house near to her is a council house and so the people in it get changed quite a lot. A young couple moved in with their new baby and, though I rarely see the mother and baby because they're usually inside, the father is pretty much ALWAYS in the yard with his chavvy mates and all they do when they see me is just shout stuff. It goes from just plain rude stuff to pervy stuff. Once, I couldn't get in my grandma's house and they even sat on the path opposite and just made comments about whether she was dead or not, which was just stressful because I was already panicking! :mad:

I tried wearing baggy jeans and t-shirts to stop the pervy comments but that didn't work (I should have known they didn't have high standards when they picked me to yell at haha). I tried ignoring them but they just shout louder. I tried talking back because I thought a bit of banter would chill them out a bit but they just got worse so that was a massive mistake. I tried telling them to just shut up and they still go on.

My friend suggested calling the council but I feel like that would be me just being crazy because it's not like they're robbing me or anything. Plus I don't want to start any major fights because I might be able to just skip off home, but my grandma is an old lady living alone and I don't want to drop her in it.

I know "sticks and stones" and all that but it's just annoying and it's really uncomfortable when I'm stood on the doorstep unlocking everything and they're just generally being idiots. Obviously I can't stop feeding and helping my grandma just because some lads are getting on my nerves! Does anybody have any ideas? How do you lot respond when people do stuff like this?

Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.