Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm from Poland and currently doing some maths before going to the uni. Can you tell me if it is possible to stay alive during my studies, living only from money I will earn by part-time job and some small money from parents(smth like 2k per year)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arthasan)
    Hi,
    I'm from Poland and currently doing some maths before going to the uni. Can you tell me if it is possible to stay alive during my studies, living only from money I will earn by part-time job and some small money from parents(smth like 2k per year)?
    £2,000 / 52 weeks = £38.46 per week to live on.

Is this AFTER you've paid rent I assume?

You'd be able to live on £38.46 a week if you're smart with your money and don't drink/smoke.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I meant 2k from parents + part-time job during term time and holidays(full-time during holidays maybe). So it will be 2k + x from my job. And it is without any payments, so I would have to pay for my accomodation and etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arthasan)
    Well, I meant 2k from parents + part-time job during term time and holidays(full-time during holidays maybe). So it will be 2k + x from my job. And it is without any payments, so I would have to pay for my accomodation and etc.
    By part time job, how much are you planning on working?

And, depending on where you're going, accommodation is going to be expensive enough to use up all of that budget on it's own.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to work enough to be able to live normally. I'll be studying in London or Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way you could pay for accommodation + living costs in London, with a part-time job+£2000.

I live on the South Coast and you couldn't do it here either. Being a major city, I'm sure Edinburgh would be the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    There's no way you could pay for accommodation + living costs in London, with a part-time job+£2000.

I live on the South Coast and you couldn't do it here either. Being a major city, I'm sure Edinburgh would be the same.
    If he works 3 days a week at min wage an hour thats about 180 quid/week. If he is living in student halls with internet and bills all covered I would say this is doable.

My accomodation at UCL was 130 a week. So his 180+40 = 220

He will have enough for food and a little entertainment. BUT.....

OP the only problem is if you have enough time to work alongside your studies? Unless your course is part time also.

Also OP foreign students will have a limit on how much they can work. So it may not actually be possible because of this.

20 hours x £6.31 and your 2k will be quite tight.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If i got accepted to UCL, I have 6k from UCL Bursary. Then it will be easy, right?

The next chance is getting Migrant Worker status and then I will be eligible to get Maintainance Grant/Loan like UK Student. Would be cool! Don't worry, UK citizens, I am gonna stay in UK so I will pay for this in my taxes after these studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    My accomodation at UCL was 130 a week. So his 180+40 = 220
    Was that 52 weeks a year though? The OP is talking about working full-time here through the holidays, so will need to find accommodation outside term time.

A £6k bursary should make life a bit more comfortable though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Was that 52 weeks a year though? The OP is talking about working full-time here through the holidays, so will need to find accommodation outside term time.

A £6k bursary should make life a bit more comfortable though.
    True. In my second year I shared a room for 120 (private). I know people who got rooms for even less (single). So its definitely possible if you look around

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.