Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was this really bad/racist what I said? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I was practising gymnastics at the sports centre doing rope work after another session. There was a family (of black ethnicity) stood around who I was working out with in another previous fitness group (I didn't know them). I asked one of the girls if she wanted a go at the rope work. The girl said she would ask her mum and then the family came over having a go. A guy was teaching them and one of the boys of the family had a go and was just swinging on the rope. I said 'your like a monkey swinging'. The family then went soon after. I didn't think anything of it until those who I were training with said I shouldn't have said that. I said ' I didn't mean anything by it in fact I said it about us when we were swinging last week'. They said yea but they don't see it that way they might have taken offence and it's against the law to say things like that'. They said that they noticed the mother look then signal to the family to go when I said it. I didn't notice any of this. I'm just thinking that it's not the best thing to say but at the end of the day I'm the one who asked them if they wanted a go and tried to include them.

I dont know, was it really bad what I said?

ReputationRep:
    The only racist is the person who interprets that as a racist statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    Ok so I was practising gymnastics at the sports centre doing rope work after another session. There was a family (of black ethnicity) stood around who I was doing the previous fitness group with so I asked them if they wanted a go at the rope work. The girl said she would ask her mum and then the family came over having a go. A guy was teaching them and one of the boys of the family had a go and just swing on the rope. I said 'your like a monkey swinging'. The family then went soon after. I didn't think anything of it until those who I were training with said I shouldn't have said that. I said ' I didn't mean anything by it in fact I said it about us when we were swinging last week'. They said yea but they don't see it that way they might have taken offence and it's against the law to say things like that'. They said that they noticed the mother look then signal to the family to go when I said it. I didn't notice any of this. I'm just thinking that it's not the best thing to say but at the end of the day I'm the one who asked them if they wanted a go and tried to include them.

I dont know, was it really bad what I said?
    No that's not racist it's a compliment! Monkeys are good at swinging so you were only telling the boy that he was good at gymnastics! Don't worry😊😊

ReputationRep:
    You just have to watch out with these kind of things. A recent popular example was in the England football squad when the manager (Roy Hodgson) referred to a black player as a monkey as part of an analogy for a tactic (completely not in a racist context) and a player complained and leaked it out to the press. Harsh but it happens

ReputationRep:
    Well, i can understand both ways.
    You obviously didn't mean it in a bad way and it was just a light hearted comment.
    However, they obviously took it offensively.
    Just forget about it, it was just a misunderstanding/misinterpretation.
    :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    No since you clearly didn't mean it in a racist way. I doubt the family were offended by it either tbh. The 'signal' was probably given because they had to leave.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you were a politician I would ask you to resign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aku-gila)
    No since you clearly didn't mean it in a racist way. I doubt the family were offended by it either tbh. The 'signal' was probably given because they had to leave.
    Thats what I thought lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.