Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should you stop shopping in primark? Watch

ReputationRep:
    K fam, i don't know where to put this thread but i think i'll stick it in here to give you guys a break from all the feminist threads.

From what i know, primark import some of their clothing from bangladeshi factories. These factories house workers, including children, in very poor and crowded conditions. They work for an excessive number of hours and they get little pay in return. Some of these factories are so poorly built that these people go to work everyday knowing that they're risking their lives.

Now, we as the consumers have two choices. We can either continue to consume which generates the income for the factories and effectively supports the working conditions of the workers, or we can stop consuming. The problem is though, if we stop consuming then these factories will go bust. The people will lose their jobs and livelihood and would have an even poorer quality of life.

The only real way out of this is to demand improvement and to enforce proper rules. The next time you shop in primark, think twice about where the clothing has come from and who has made it, not just the price tag.

Inb4 LOOOL OP shops in primark. Wat a cheapskate bruv. LOOOl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't buy from there anyway, I don't like my clothes to fall apart after 3 washes thanks

ReputationRep:
    LOOOL OP shops in primark. Wat a cheapskate bruv. LOOOl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    LOOOL OP shops in primark. Wat a cheapskate bruv. LOOOl
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    nah; some of their clothes are worth the price, some of their articles definitely aren't, but that's still better than many other clothing retailers if at least some of their wares are of good quality relative to how much they charge for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I wouldn't buy from there anyway, I don't like my clothes to fall apart after 3 washes thanks
    This is basically not true. Majority of my clothes are from Primark, I wear the same outfits at least once a week, got some clothes that I've had for way over a year. Clothes I've had from some 'classier' shops haven't lasted anywhere near as long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polecat)
    This is basically not true. Majority of my clothes are from Primark, I wear the same outfits at least once a week, got some clothes that I've had for way over a year. Clothes I've had from some 'classier' shops haven't lasted anywhere near as long.
    Speak as you find, but I personally don't think the clothes are very high quality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumSuicide)
    K

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.primark.com/en/our-ethics

Read it.

ReputationRep:
    Some primark is shocking, some is good. I've got some great bargains over the years and things that have lasted surprisingly well.

And they have gotten a lot better in the factories. The horror story of the OP is no longer really accurate, that was more the case of a few years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of other shops are probably just as bad, but simply rip you off more when you're buying the clothes.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the clothes have survived over three years?

As much as I'd like to shop elsewhere (which isn't a sweatshop - a rarity, these days) for better quality of clothing, I cannot pay for such extortionate prices. Even PRIMARK's clothing is stretching beyond my budget now.

I only go clothes shopping once or twice a year purely because of my financial situation. I cannot shop elsewhere, besides Matalan (which, after fuel costs, works out more expensive as the nearest store is 45mins away).

That leaves PRIMARK. What else can I do?

ReputationRep:
    I think primarks clothing quality is good for the price. Dunno how you people get your clothes to fall apart...

ReputationRep:
    Why do people act as if Primark is the only store with bad working conditions and things? Other shops probably do the same yet people are willing to see past that and pay £30+ for one top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bought some shorts from there and they had very good styles, and fit.

The 20-30 quid shorts in other places were too skinny, or were made for fat people in their 40s.

ReputationRep:
    Majority of my clothes are from Primark as I change styles too often haha. Would wear something just for summer then probably never again, I think Primark is good quality and a lot of high end stores use sweat shops but you just don't hear about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Some primark is shocking, some is good. I've got some great bargains over the years and things that have lasted surprisingly well.

And they have gotten a lot better in the factories. The horror story of the OP is no longer really accurate, that was more the case of a few years ago.
    As someone who has been to bagladesh in the past year i can say that these conditions still exist. However much their website say they're all great etc it's still not good enough and it's still unacceptable.

(Original post by superdarklord)
    Why do people act as if Primark is the only store with bad working conditions and things? Other shops probably do the same yet people are willing to see past that and pay £30+ for one top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't want you to see it this way. Of course there's other shops that are similar to primark but imo, primark shops attract the most number of customers, and i just felt making a thread about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Speak as you find, but I personally don't think the clothes are very high quality
    Where does your bf shop?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Primarks undies are fabby, I bought some from Victorias Secret and the exact same style for hell of a lot cheaper from Primark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumSuicide)
    As someone who has been to bagladesh in the past year i can say that these conditions still exist. However much their website say they're all great etc it's still not good enough and it's still unacceptable.
    Not saying they don't exist, just that British shops generally aren't the ones operating them anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

The factories aren't primarks factory's, Primark just pay the factory owners to manufacturer the clothes, lots of other shops so this such as Zara and river island use them as well but because primark uses cheaper sources of fabric makes their clothes retail at a lower price.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.