The Student Room Group

Why do some people only "tolerate" gays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iamu
I'd disown the wee bastard

I hope you never have children, then.
Original post by iamu
Pretty much. In a club trying to feel me up, out my space before hit you.

Also don't get why gays can't just act like a normal guy, wheres the need for the ridiculous over the top voices etc

But a heterosexual male kissing their girlfriend goodbye near you, or giving their girlfriend a hug, would most likely not upset you. While your attitude is clearly better than some, don't you think that's a bit unfair?
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you SO much for this. It's exactly the point.

No need to thank me. Just my personal experience as a lesbain. Some straight chicks honestly believe that they are irrisistable to me. :eek:
Original post by alapa
No need to thank me. Just my personal experience as a lesbain. Some straight chicks honestly believe that they are irrisistable to me. :eek:

I know.

I have a gay friend and he's been beaten up for quite literally looking at the wrong guy for a second. It's ridiculous. The world is so cruel.
I know.

The world is so cruel.

The world is a lot more cruel on other groups. People who identify as gay tend to come from the most privileged groups on earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
But a heterosexual male kissing their girlfriend goodbye near you, or giving their girlfriend a hug, would most likely not upset you. While your attitude is clearly better than some, don't you think that's a bit unfair?

Bill Burr explained this.

He was in a cafe and a gay male couple started kissing. He said "Ew" or something without thinking, and a woman he was with got really confrontational with him.

He says that he said "Ew" because when you look at a straight couple kissing as a straight man, one thing you might do is you might try to put yourself in the position of the man. But if it's a gay male couple, where does a straight man imagine himself? Kissing a man? That'd gross for you if you're a straight man, just like banging a really fat 70 year old woman would be for most straight men.

So it's okay for a girl and a guy to do the same?

Why is it then okay for boys to do that to a girl? Most heterosexuals seem to think that's normal and actually, it's not. It's never okay for girls to feel like that nor boys.

Homosexuals act how they want to act. There's no link between how they act and the fact they're homosexual. So don't generalise.

This is a very ignorant response and basically proves why so much homophobia still exists in todays world. Just because a man loves a man it does not mean they want to come on to every boy in sight. That's just an arrogant thing to assume.

There most certainly is. I've never met a straight guy who talks the way half the gay people do. They have that wavey arms, outsretched hands thing. Why?

This gay lad at school spoke normally all his life, next minute he's gay and his balls seem to have retracted back into his stomach and his voice is now a higher frequency.
Original post by Jordanap
There most certainly is. I've never met a straight guy who talks the way half the gay people do. They have that wavey arms, outsretched hands thing. Why?

This gay lad at school spoke normally all his life, next minute he's gay and his balls seem to have retracted back into his stomach and his voice is now a higher frequency.

Perhaps knowing he's gay has made you look at him in a different way?
I believe a lot of the people that say they only "tolerate" homosexuality are the people that want to be homophobic but don't because of the social coercion. Not ideal, but I believe it shows that consciousness is being spread.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Perhaps knowing he's gay has made you look at him in a different way?

Nope. He changed. Loads of people noticed. I, and plenty of others, didn't just unanimously agree that his voice had changed because we found out he's gay - he obviously did change
Reply 30
Because they're only tolerable.

That's not attached to their sexuality. I know tonnes of homosexuals. My cousin is gay and I never even KNEW he was because there was nothing obvious about it. I also know straight boys who are the campest people on earth. It may seem very obvious that gays and being camp go hand-in-hand but they don't. That's the way some try to act for whatever reason. I also, like you, find that quite intolerable because I do believe it's unnecessary but guess what? Live and let live. They're doing no one any harm whatsoever.
Original post by nohomo
Bill Burr explained this.

He was in a cafe and a gay male couple started kissing. He said "Ew" or something without thinking, and a woman he was with got really confrontational with him.

He says that he said "Ew" because when you look at a straight couple kissing as a straight man, one thing you might do is you might try to put yourself in the position of the man. But if it's a gay male couple, where does a straight man imagine himself? Kissing a man? That'd gross for you if you're a straight man, just like banging a really fat 70 year old woman would be for most straight men.

I suppose that makes sense. Perhaps squeamishness is a natural reaction, in the same way that when I was 7, watching anybody kiss was disgusting because to imagine myself doing such a thing disgusted me. I guess what matters is how you act on what you feel. You don't necessarily have to let on that you're disgusted, and spoil their fun, as it were.
Reply 33
I know.

I have a gay friend and he's been beaten up for quite literally looking at the wrong guy for a second. It's ridiculous. The world is so cruel.

We are seriously on the same wavelength here. If a gay guy looks at you funny then surely a real man happy with his sexuality would take it as a compliment?
Original post by ApeMob
Because they're only tolerable.

Rubbish. I would argue that your attitude is only tolerable if that.
Original post by alapa
We are seriously on the same wavelength here. If a gay guy looks at you funny then surely a real man happy with his sexuality would take it as a compliment?

I totally agree. Loads of people come back at me by saying, "yeah, as if you don't get grossed out by it" and in honesty, no I don't because I'm comfortable with my sexuality and who I am.
I know.

Thats sick. Hope the culprit got kneecapped
That's not attached to their sexuality. I know tonnes of homosexuals. My cousin is gay and I never even KNEW he was because there was nothing obvious about it. I also know straight boys who are the campest people on earth. It may seem very obvious that gays and being camp go hand-in-hand but they don't. That's the way some try to act for whatever reason. I also, like you, find that quite intolerable because I do believe it's unnecessary but guess what? Live and let live. They're doing no one any harm whatsoever.

It is though. I know plenty of gay people - 50% (atleast) throw their hands about in a conversation and have a 'gay' accent. The figure for straight men that have the same actions and accent is about 2%. Definitely a trend.
Reply 38
Rubbish. I would argue that your attitude is only tolerable if that.

How bout you come out and stop hiding, how about that :rolleyes: Then we can really discuss what's rubbish.
Nope. He changed. Loads of people noticed. I, and plenty of others, didn't just unanimously agree that his voice had changed because we found out he's gay - he obviously did change

That's really peculiar. Because, of course, he was always gay - the only thing that changed was that he is now more obviously so, and it is no longer a secret. Do you think he had previously adopted a deeper voice to try and act more like a stereotypical male, perhaps subconsciously?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending