Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think North Korea and South Korea should reunify? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Korea reunify?
    Yes, there should be a united Korea.
    27.27%
    No, Korea should remain divided.
    63.64%
    I am not sure.
    9.09%

ReputationRep:
    'North Korea should unite with South Korea'. Do you agree or disagree and why?

ReputationRep:
    Let's see - one is an advanced industrialised democracy, the other is basically a medieval state run by a self proclaimed earthbound god.

One has outstanding industry and commerce. The other can't feed their people and is basically inflicting a holocaust on its own population.

There is no way this is going to work out except in the loooooong term.

ReputationRep:
    Idealistically, I think they 'should', if only to address the half-century long separation of families, friends, lovers etc. across an arbitrary border.

But in reality, it would be a nightmare of epic proportions integrating both the economies and populations back into a unified country. South Korea, with the more advanced economy and society and all would probably have to bear the brunt of an extra ~25 million people. I can't even begin to think how you'd go about doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serebro)
    'North Korea should unite with South Korea'. Do you agree or disagree and why?
    :cool: youre korean you say

ReputationRep:
    North Korea should be destroyed. It is the most evil state on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    :cool: youre korean you say
    I'm actually half-Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think South Korea should take control of North Korea if anything, but it's in so much economic trouble without the tyrannical nutcases running their labour camps that I doubt South Korea would want to. It does, however, recognise escaped North Koreans as South Korean citizens so provides them with a country to live if they escape.

Assuming the dictatorship ends, it's going to need so much economic support from the world. I have no idea how it functions without roads, cities, energy etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serebro)
    I'm actually half-Japanese.
    jaysus I wouldnt be saying that too loudly...

ReputationRep:
    West Germany is still paying the price of reunification with East Germany, and they were in a hell of a lot of a better state than North Korea are now.

As much as it would be nice for the country and for the people in it, it's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think they should stay as they are, but North Korea should join the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Pass me some of what you're smoking OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    Pass me some of what you're smoking OP.
    I saw this article from earlier this year. Made me wonder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25911981

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.