Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody do this course and can provide more information before I attend an open day? I've had a look on the Edge Hill Website but it doesn't give much information away, is anybody else thinking of applying for this course?

I also saw another article on here which gained a few replies, but I'd like to adapt it and ask it again, would you recommend doing English Language then a PGCE in English, or just the Secondary English Education course, which is 3 years instead of the 4?

I'd be so grateful for any replies, I'm totally stuck on which to apply and would like more information before I attend the open day.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh.m)
    Does anybody do this course and can provide more information before I attend an open day? I've had a look on the Edge Hill Website but it doesn't give much information away, is anybody else thinking of applying for this course?

I also saw another article on here which gained a few replies, but I'd like to adapt it and ask it again, would you recommend doing English Language then a PGCE in English, or just the Secondary English Education course, which is 3 years instead of the 4?

I'd be so grateful for any replies, I'm totally stuck on which to apply and would like more information before I attend the open day.

Thanks
    Personally, I think it would be safer to do Lang degree, then a PGCE simply because you will leave your option wide open in case you end up leaving the profession, which a lot do.

Your latter degree, only teaches you about English in a secondary school environment. It will give you a general gist of how to teach Lit/Lang/Media/Drama/Poetry, etc etc. It deals with a lot more theory than practise. Whereas, PGCE is more theory AND practise at the same time, in one whole year, which is why it's really stressful.

I personally would rather study an English degree, so I can have the required subject knowledge from various things, from classical poetry to studying phonetics, rather than learning this and that about how English is taught at a secondary level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.