Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is your budget?
    What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Mostly inner city with approx 1 long (100 mile round trip) journey per week
    How many passenger will you usually be carrying?
    How big a boot do you need?
    Small
    Specific tasks you will be doing?
    None
    Any brands you would prefer? Any brands you hate?
    No preference
    What features in the car are important to you?
    I'd like an aux connection for my iPod but that's all.
    What gearbox do you want?
    Don't Mind
    Are aesthetics of the car important?
    No
    Special requirements?
    Don't care about handling, power etc, as long as it's reliable and economical.
    What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

ReputationRep:
    Look for a Suzuki Swift, it is a good one to have especially in view of the longer journey you will do.

A Ford Focus that is around 5 years old might suit the bill too, look for a 1.6l model.

You could also get a Fiat Panda 1.2l, it is bearable on long journeys. Had one of these before and drove it several times from Oxford to Aberdeen without much of an issue.

It is better to look for a USB connection rather than an AUX for the iPod.

ReputationRep:
    Get a Citroen C1 like this, which I found on Autotrader, along with many more that are similarly priced.

1.0 L engine with over 60mpg.

Get one 7-10 years old with ~60-70,000 miles for around £1,800-3000 depending on condition and spec. I'm not sure if the one I mentioned has an aux, but there are loads of models listed and I'm certain one will have an aux input.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid Citroen, Renault and Peugeot. Absolutely rubbish cars!
    I would look into getting a Mitsubishi or a Volkswagen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly92)
    Avoid Citroen, Renault and Peugeot. Absolutely rubbish cars!
    I would look into getting a Mitsubishi or a Volkswagen.
    No, that's not true. I wouldn't personally buy one, but that doesn't mean they are absolute rubbish. On that budget, if you wanted a decent VW that got 60+ mpg you would only be able to get a much older car [that thus wouldn't achieve 60+], or one that bucks the trend in terms of excessive mileage. In fact, I doubt you could buy a Golf or Polo for £2700 that would achieve 60mpg. Plus, I don't have any idea why you would suggest a Mitsubishi, the only one she'd be able to afford and run at 60mpg would be a Colt, and they're, well frankly, s**t.

Hence my suggestion of a C1 for OP; Cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap parts and most importantly depreciate pretty badly so cheap to buy a newer model. Again, I wouldn't personally drive one, but it's not about me and I know a fair number of people who happily drive one.

If you happen to have any actual evidence of Citroen's, Renault's or Peugeot's being absolute rubbish as you claim, then please do show it to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vimto39)
    No, that's not true. I wouldn't personally buy one, but that doesn't mean they are absolute rubbish. On that budget, if you wanted a decent VW that got 60+ mpg you would only be able to get a much older car [that thus wouldn't achieve 60+], or one that bucks the trend in terms of excessive mileage. In fact, I doubt you could buy a Golf or Polo for £2700 that would achieve 60mpg. Plus, I don't have any idea why you would suggest a Mitsubishi, the only one she'd be able to afford and run at 60mpg would be a Colt, and they're, well frankly, s**t.

Hence my suggestion of a C1 for OP; Cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap parts and most importantly depreciate pretty badly so cheap to buy a newer model. Again, I wouldn't personally drive one, but it's not about me and I know a fair number of people who happily drive one.

If you happen to have any actual evidence of Citroen's, Renault's or Peugeot's being absolute rubbish as you claim, then please do show it to me.
    Thanks, I've decided on the Toyota Aygo which is obviously the same as the Citroën but I prefer the look of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinzyLoo)
    Thanks, I've decided on the Toyota Aygo which is obviously the same as the Citroën but I prefer the look of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Brilliant, the Aygo's seem to hold their value slightly better - so it might cost you a little more to buy, but you should lose less via depreciation than on the Citroen or Peugeot models.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.