Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hopefully should be starting medical school this september.

I know it's a bit early to plan, but I was thinking about what opportunities are available for medical students in the summer.
    From what I've found so far, most medical students can't do summer research placements until they've completed 2nd year. Is there anything a 1st year student can do to keep themselves occupied during the summer?
    I don't have a very nice family situation (I'll not go into detail), so it would be ideal to keep myself as busy as possible during the summer months, and doing something academic would help even more.

Any suggestions?

Also, doing the USMLEs are a possibility for me in the future as I might consider applying for work in the USA. I understand it's a good idea to undertake work experience/elective etc in the USA before applying for work as it would help the application. Is it ever possible for a UK medical student to undertake a summer research placement in the USA? Does anyone have experience with this?
    I tried looking through Digitalis's posts and although there is a lot of information regarding the specifics of the USMLEs I couldn't find much else- he's been inactive since January 2013.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working 70 hour weeks, 7 days a week and it's my summer holiday. Week days I work in administration for a local GP. Tomorrow I have a full phlebotomy clinic for them. At the weekends I'm a driver for the out of hours GP service. When I'm not working I'm studying. And sleeping, there's a little of that. But... I'm a graduate on a 5 year course. I need to work to earn money for fees. That's good motivation. You might find you'd rather prefer the break. Your days of long summer holidays will be numbered once you start. Catch up with friends, hobbies and reading. About America, all I know is placements there are expensive. I do recall getting emails about research placements available from my uni from first year. There were no restrictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferris Bueller)
    I hopefully should be starting medical school this september.

I know it's a bit early to plan, but I was thinking about what opportunities are available for medical students in the summer.
    From what I've found so far, most medical students can't do summer research placements until they've completed 2nd year. Is there anything a 1st year student can do to keep themselves occupied during the summer?
    I don't have a very nice family situation (I'll not go into detail), so it would be ideal to keep myself as busy as possible during the summer months, and doing something academic would help even more.

Any suggestions?

Also, doing the USMLEs are a possibility for me in the future as I might consider applying for work in the USA. I understand it's a good idea to undertake work experience/elective etc in the USA before applying for work as it would help the application. Is it ever possible for a UK medical student to undertake a summer research placement in the USA? Does anyone have experience with this?
    I tried looking through Digitalis's posts and although there is a lot of information regarding the specifics of the USMLEs I couldn't find much else- he's been inactive since January 2013.

Many thanks
    You definitely can do summer research placements maybe not formal placements but informal for sure. If you email up a professor, you might not get really involved in the research but you will definitely be able to help out in some way. Whether or not you get paid is a different story.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.