Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asthmatics unite - how are you handling the heat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So here I am at 1am, completely unable to sleep, sweating like the falls struggling to breathe like I'm underwater.

It's been like this ever since this damned heatwave started, and has gotten to the point where my ventolin is almost completely ineffective. The only time I can actually breathe like a normal person is when I'm at work thanks to the air conditioning, but my room is a disaster zone. It must be 30 degrees in here, and I can't breathe at all - I wake up at ridiculous times of the night having gotten no sleep, and when I eventually do get to sleep again I only wake up again an hour later gasping for air.

I'll be seeing my GP when I can (new place, so I still need to locate one and sign up), but in the meantime does anybody have any similar suggestions? I'm dying here, quite literally!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you know it really is important to see a GP ASAP, particularly if your ventolin seems ineffective. Do you have a plan drawn up for when your asthma worsens (i.e. when to increase your preventer inhaler etc?) Make sure you're keeping an eye on your peak flow and seek medical attention if it's dropped severely; the symptoms you're describing could all be signs of an imminent full blown asthma attack (which I'm sure you know already.)

Other than that, I assume you've already got the windows open, could you buy a cheap fan to keep it cooler? A large part of what may triggering your asthma may be the humidity so it should help to get some airflow going.

It hasn't been too bad here, but you have my sympathy, I've come down with a horrid cold (in July!) so am suffering somewhat because of that, and the heat is definitely making me feel more uncomfortable than I already am. I'm enjoying a lovely bit of wheeziness myself. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    I'm sure you know it really is important to see a GP ASAP, particularly if your ventolin seems ineffective. Do you have a plan drawn up for when your asthma worsens (i.e. when to increase your preventer inhaler etc?) Make sure you're keeping an eye on your peak flow and seek medical attention if it's dropped severely; the symptoms you're describing could all be signs of an imminent full blown asthma attack (which I'm sure you know already.)

Other than that, I assume you've already got the windows open, could you buy a cheap fan to keep it cooler? A large part of what may triggering your asthma may be the humidity so it should help to get some airflow going.

It hasn't been too bad here, but you have my sympathy, I've come down with a horrid cold (in July!) so am suffering somewhat because of that, and the heat is definitely making me feel more uncomfortable than I already am. I'm enjoying a lovely bit of wheeziness myself. :rolleyes:
    My routine hasn't changed in years. Typically I only require a single dose every few weeks but this week has been hell - I've always taken two if it gets /really/ bad but in this heat wave I find myself using it every hour or less (during the day it is cooler, but the evenings get much hitter for some reason). Luckily the heat let off a little last night so it wasn't quite as humid and difficult to breathe, but the five minutes of walking home from work nearly had me suffocating.

I haven't had an attack for about 10 years, and I don't think it gets quite as bad as I remember it getting when I was still having attacks, but it is definitely very uncomfortable.

I'm looking into getting a fan, but I can't leave the windows open as it just makes things worse, as well as not really helping airflow. Shutting the curtains, windows and blinds completely seems to be the only thing alleviating it as at least I can prevent the room getting so hot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    My routine hasn't changed in years. Typically I only require a single dose every few weeks but this week has been hell - I've always taken two if it gets /really/ bad but in this heat wave I find myself using it every hour or less (during the day it is cooler, but the evenings get much hitter for some reason). Luckily the heat let off a little last night so it wasn't quite as humid and difficult to breathe, but the five minutes of walking home from work nearly had me suffocating.

I haven't had an attack for about 10 years, and I don't think it gets quite as bad as I remember it getting when I was still having attacks, but it is definitely very uncomfortable.

I'm looking into getting a fan, but I can't leave the windows open as it just makes things worse, as well as not really helping airflow. Shutting the curtains, windows and blinds completely seems to be the only thing alleviating it as at least I can prevent the room getting so hot.
    If you're needing to use your reliever more than usual, particularly this much more and if you're needing it at night - then you must go and see a doctor asap, as it sounds like your therapy may need to be stepped up for the time being. Book today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    If you're needing to use your reliever more than usual, particularly this much more and if you're needing it at night - then you must go and see a doctor asap, as it sounds like your therapy may need to be stepped up for the time being. Book today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Strangely enough, it seems to have died down a lot today. I've had zero problems and I don't recall having to use it at all today, and even managed to go cycling out in the open - seems it is down to the humidity rather than the heat. I'll see how it progresses over the week and if it returns I'll probably see my GP about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)

Have you considered getting a humidifier?
    Expensive, but worth the investment if it eases your symptoms

ReputationRep:
    I hate it ! It's 3:49 and I haven't still got any sleep! Not fair

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.