Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When will Britain pay reparations? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When will all Irish people and members of the Irish diaspora be paid reparations by the non-Irish living in Britain today?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I was being sarcastic. It was more of a parody of people wanting reparations for the slave trade

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    lol
    :lep:

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    And what would we be paying reparations for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    And what would we be paying reparations for?
    Forcing the Irish to grow a mono-crop which left it susceptible to disease and pests. Which in turn led to the starvation of the Irish.

That old chestnut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Forcing the Irish to grow a mono-crop which left it susceptible to disease and pests. Which in turn led to the starvation of the Irish.

That old chestnut.
    That among other things

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Reparations are a silly concept imo. So hard to calculate anything meaningful its just a gesture.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    When will all Irish people and members of the Irish diaspora be paid reparations by the non-Irish living in Britain today?
    When they once again join the UK as part of a federation.

ReputationRep:
    We'll get right on making those responsible pay... Oh it would appear that they're all dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)

That old chestnut.
    And no-one involved in that is alive today, so why should we pay reparations for it?

By the same token, every country would be forced to pay reparations to other countries for crimes committed hundreds of years ago. Reparations make no sense unless they are paid in the immediate aftermath of the event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    And no-one involved in that is alive today, so why should we pay reparations for it?

By the same token, every country would be forced to pay reparations to other countries for crimes committed hundreds of years ago. Reparations make no sense unless they are paid in the immediate aftermath of the event.
    I don't believe in all that stuff. **** happens move on.

ReputationRep:
    When they pay us reperation for the Nolans!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a native of the Republic...

I don't think any of us really give a ****e about that any more. It's done, sure, can't be helped now.

ReputationRep:
    Can barely feed meself atm. Probably i'd leave it to some of the other foreigners to foot the bill instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)

Spoiler:
    Show
    I was being sarcastic. It was more of a parody of people wanting reparations for the slave trade
    you see. if you were irish and had any respect for your heritage you wouldnt make a joke out of your own history to poke fun at a people with a shared history.

irish people were salves too.

the entire island of montserrat is made up of irish and african slaves.

slavery was not long ago.

my grand mother is 80 this year. she's old enough to have met and spoken to someone who used to be a slave.

reparations are rarely called upon from the british state.

the reparations campaigns are towards the american government or corporations that did very well from it.

for example Lloyds of london has been targeted for reparations claims.

Israel's economy is practically dependent on reparation payments from germany
    yet germany has not given a penny to namibia which experienced massacres less than 30 years before WWII.

also I would say women who were victims of the catholic church who worked in the Magdalen laundries deserve reparations from the catholic church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99DeadBaboons)
    Speaking as a native of the Republic...

I don't think any of us really give a ****e about that any more. It's done, sure, can't be helped now.
    yea but natives of the republic would sell their own mothers. fenian patriotism is dead in the republic. its all money money money and sarcasm. oh yea and a desperate need to try and be either french or some bigoted american republican.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    yea but natives of the republic would sell their own mothers. fenian patriotism is dead in the republic. its all money money money and sarcasm. oh yea and a desperate need to try and be either french or some bigoted american republican.
    Would we? I had no idea that I was a wealth-obsessed mother-flogger. Thanks for letting me know that I'm bigoted in the same paragraph that you slander my country and use the words "French" and "American" as if they're insults. I've certainly never noticed myself trying to be either of those things, but I'll keep an eye out for it in the future,
    Au revoir dude.

Ps. I will however concede sarcasm on my own part

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.