Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shall I put down a bad grade on ucas? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for economics and for maths and my current a-levels I'm kinda predicted to get AAB-AAA, I also have an AS in economics and chemistry at E grade as I'm retaking year 12, shall I mention my E grade on my ucas? I want to apply for Bristol/Nottingham/queens Mary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to put down all your grades

ReputationRep:
    You have to put them on unfortunately
    I asked when I was filling mine out I asked if I had to put my D in Spanish down and they said you have to enter every exam no matter what grade

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but would I be at a disadvantage? Like they pick the best 3 if you've only 3 AS's? So I've like 5 but 2 at E grades would they pick someone else over me with the same 3 AS grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have to put down all the grades that you have got, and all the qualifications that you are working towards.

It is up to you to put a positive spin on it, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    You have to put down all the grades that you have got, and all the qualifications that you are working towards.

It is up to you to put a positive spin on it, I guess.
    Any guesses on how I could put a positive spin on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    u have to but i doubt it'll matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim Shady 96)
    Any guesses on how I could put a positive spin on it?
    Maybe acknowledge in your personal statement that you are always willing to improve and do better (as evidenced by a retake of year 12); showing greater maturity. I wrote something similar on my personal statement, iirc. Or a passing acknowledgement somewhere about it? On the other hand, if the other results are really good, you could focus on the other three results and suggest how you prefer them and how it would build into your degree/career choice.

It is worth keeping in mind that AS-levels, although important in UCAS terms, are not as important as the predicted grades, or the teacher's reports to go with them. If you are predicted, ABB-AAA, there is a reason for that, and there probably will be reasons for getting an E. And also, I believe they also look for GCSE results as well -- if they were to show that the E grades was a 'blip', then it would also help your application look that much better to the universities.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but would I be at a disadvantage? Like they pick the best 3 if you've only 3 AS's? So I've like 5 but 2 at E grades would they pick someone else over me with the same 3 AS grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope you won't be at any disadvantage, they'll take the subjects your taking onto A2 more into consideration than the ones you are not.
    My two offers that I'm holding are AAB and ABB, and in the subjects I took onto A2 my AS grades were ABC (ACC before I repeated a history module in January). I'm predicted A*AB-ABB
    So your A2 predictions, personal statement etc will count for more than the 2 E's

EDIT: is one E in economics? If so and your not retaking it, that could cause problems if your applying for an economics degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    Nope you won't be at any disadvantage, they'll take the subjects your taking onto A2 more into consideration than the ones you are not.
    My two offers that I'm holding are AAB and ABB, and in the subjects I took onto A2 my AS grades were ABC (ACC before I repeated a history module in January). I'm predicted A*AB-ABB
    So your A2 predictions, personal statement etc will count for more than the 2 E's

EDIT: is one E in economics? If so and your not retaking it, that could cause problems if your applying for an economics degree
    Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better, and yeah I'll definitely retake it this year I was just lazy last year but yeah I think I can get it up to at least a B, would I then have to say that I intend to retake the E? Any excuses I can say as to why I got an E? (I didn't revise properly but obviously can't say that)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe acknowledge in your personal statement that you are always willing to improve and do better (as evidenced by a retake of year 12); showing greater maturity. I wrote something similar on my personal statement, iirc. Or a passing acknowledgement somewhere about it? On the other hand, if the other results are really good, you could focus on the other three results and suggest how you prefer them and how it would build into your degree/career choice.

It is worth keeping in mind that AS-levels, although important in UCAS terms, are not as important as the predicted grades, or the teacher's reports to go with them. If you are predicted, ABB-AAA, there is a reason for that, and there probably will be reasons for getting an E. And also, I believe they also look for GCSE results as well -- if they were to show that the E grades was a 'blip', then it would also help your application look that much better to the universities.
    Yeah I could mention that, thanks I'll think of something more too and I suffered from depression during that time it was temporary so they aren't any medical records of it, not sure if that counts and if that would make by E less important but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better, and yeah I'll definitely retake it this year I was just lazy last year but yeah I think I can get it up to at least a B, would I then have to say that I intend to retake the E? Any excuses I can say as to why I got an E? (I didn't revise properly but obviously can't say that)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't have to put down any excuses or mention anything in your personal statement at all!
    In the UCAS application, you put in your existing results in one section, then in another you put in all the exams etc you still have to take, so they'll know that your retaking from that.
    And am I right in saying that you're repeating the whole of lower 6th? (Sorry I can't use years as it confuses me as your year 12 is our year 13 here in Northern Ireland).
    If that's the case, you'll have a new set of AS's to put on your application anyway

ReputationRep:
    You have to put it down.
    /Thread.

ReputationRep:
    You have to declare all results. One bad one isn't going to make much, if any, difference whereas committing fraud by omission, which is how universities regard this, will result in places being withdrawn at any stage. Do not under any circumstances put anything in your ps about it. The ps should be a positive document about your future on the course you are applying for, not an excuse for the past.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you sure economics is the right course for you? I only ask because of the E and the previous response of "I think I can get it up to at least a B."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yea unfortunately you have to put it, if you have a certificate for it you HAVE to put it on your UCAS form otherwise they can disqualify you. Just don't mention it anywhere else, it was a blip!

Not too sure economics is right for you, you may love it but getting an E really isn't good? But hey,you never know. Write a killer personal statement and you're good to go

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with this completely. If someone gets a C at AS, and the predicted grade is an A*/A then obviously the uni will realise it is inflated. Also teacher's will give favoured results to those that they like and universities know this. Also candidates aiming for AAA universities shouldn't be getting an E at any AS.

ReputationRep:
    Rearding the Personal statement, I wasn't suggesting that the OP dwell on the issue -- certainly not to make excuses. A passing statement along the lines that they are constantly wanting to strive to continue to improve themselves will do. It's not an excuse, but it is a pre-emptive strike as it were. It is one sentence that also links in with how university would improve the OP, while sort of, but not explicitly, acknowledging that there is room for improvement.

(Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    I disagree with this completely. If someone gets a C at AS, and the predicted grade is an A*/A then obviously the uni will realise it is inflated. Also teacher's will give favoured results to those that they like and universities know this. Also candidates aiming for AAA universities shouldn't be getting an E at any AS.
    Quite possibly, but while the AS results highlight a work ethic, the A2 results matter more. Sometimes people will improve their AS-level results and get a better A2 result than the AS one. There are plenty of people who go to good universities after retaking year 12. Of course if everything is recorded, the universities would be able to make that decision for themselves. I'm not going to suggest that teachers are being unprofessional; they have to be professional and make accurate predicted grades. It's in their interest to get their students, whether they liked them or not, into university. An unrealistic predicted grade won't do that. On the other hand, they can give further evidence which isn't just apparent through exam results, such as vouching for extra-curricular work and stuff, like attending out-of-school time lectures for example.

ReputationRep:
    Yep you do have to declare all your grades. But if it makes you feel better, I know a couple of people who've applied for Oxbridge and received offers who had a massive c**k up in one exam and declared it even when they didn't have to (the system only changed a couple of years ago). But then again, because most people who apply to Oxbridge are interviewed, they have an extra stage to prove that their C/D/E wasn't the norm. So although it may well affect your application if there aren't extenuating circumstances for your E grade, there is a small chance universities will choose to overlook it and still give you an offer (although they might make the offer higher than their average offer, e.g. they might specify A*AA when their usual offer for the same course is AAA).

ReputationRep:
    Rearding the Personal statement, I wasn't suggesting that the OP dwell on the issue -- certainly not to make excuses. A passing statement along the lines that they are constantly wanting to strive to continue to improve themselves will do. It's not an excuse, but it is a pre-emptive strike as it were. It is one sentence that also links in with how university would improve the OP, while sort of, but not explicitly, acknowledging that there is room for improvement.

Quite possibly, but while the AS results highlight a work ethic, the A2 results matter more. Sometimes people will improve their AS-level results and get a better A2 result than the AS one. There are plenty of people who go to good universities after retaking year 12. Of course if everything is recorded, the universities would be able to make that decision for themselves. I'm not going to suggest that teachers are being unprofessional; they have to be professional and make accurate predicted grades. It's in their interest to get their students, whether they liked them or not, into university. An unrealistic predicted grade won't do that. On the other hand, they can give further evidence which isn't just apparent through exam results, such as vouching for extra-curricular work and stuff, like attending out-of-school time lectures for example.
    Out of interest do you know anyone who did A Levels over 3 or more years and managed to get into a top 5 uni, with extenuating circumstances?

And I see your point and what you are saying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.