Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Been thinking of doing a fitness blog for a while, since I occasionally weight train. Decided to do it now since I'm paying more attention to my diet, and I'll be less tempted to cheat if I know that people will see what I've been eating (yes, I'll be regularly posting what I've eaten that day). I will be calorie counting (to a certain extent).

I'll be updating my goals/lifts as they change. I'll probably keep a spoiler containing all of the questions I ask that get answered, just in case anybody else was wondering the same thing.

What I currently weigh:

99Kg

BF ~ 23% (so says the machine, although I'm convinced it's a little higher)

Height: 5' 11"

Aims:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Looking to lose quite a bit of fat (get down to 15% by this time next year). Going to be eating healthily from now-on, cutting down carbs and increasing protein intake. Even bought some USN ultra-lean shake! A steady increase in strength would be nice, too. Nothing too extreme, though, as I've tried it before and it's just not sustainable (at least not for me).

Just before I list what I lift: XsYr = X sets Y reps. You'll notice my reps fluctuate from 8-20 and my sets from 2-5. Some exercises feel really expensive and those extra two reps at the end feel like a mile away, so there is some variation! Some of my muscle groups can't hold out as long as the others, so I do more sets with those, and I typically do more sets on machines since they're more comfortable (no balance required).

What I currently lift (Kg):

Legs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'll normally be able to do 2 less than listed on the last set, or in the case of squats, they'll be really slow reps and the person spotting me will be right up my ass!

Back squat, 6s8r: 70, 70, 80, 80, 90, 90

Leg extensions: 4s10r: 25el, 30el, 35el, 40el

Leg curls (seated): 4s10r: 40, 50, 60, 70

Leg Curls (lying)
    : 3s8r: 40, 50, 60

Lunges: 3s10r (not a fan, so only 3s), 10eh, 15eh, 20eh (ketbels)

Seated calf raises: 4s10r, 75, 85, 95, 100

Standing calf raises
    3s10r (weight on shoulders): 60,70,80

Infrequent:

Leg Adducters/Abducters: 3 sets on bottom weight, which is like 60Kg, normally supersetted with squats alternatively.

inb4 no leg press: leg press bench has been broke at my gym for about 6 weeks, and the only at uni is a machine, with no labels on the weights. I don't see the justice in saying '3 from the bottom'!

Arms:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not making separate categories for bis and tris, although I rarely work both in the same day. My left has a higher peak, my right is longer and gets crazy pumps compared to my left. It often feels I'm working my right arm more since it pumps so much, but calms down after 20m and then they're both equally as sore!

Concentrated Z-bar curl: 3s10r 20,25,30

I'd like to point out that I feel I could lift more on this exercise, but it actually hurts most at the top of my forearm when I fully straighten it at the bottom. Should I not be going straight-arm? Or do I just have to deal with it until my forearms catch up?

Elevated tricep dips: 3s8r, bodyweight

Concentrated dumbbell bicep curl: 4s8r, 14,16,18,20

Cable pull-downs: 3s10r, 45, 50, 55

Hammerfist dumbbell curls: 3s,10r, 12,14,16

Overhead exetension: 3s,10r, 10,12,14 (I do each arm indiv.)

I'll occasionally do negatives (once a week), which will consist of just two sets of 4 on concentrate Z-bar and dumbbell curls with 50 and 28 respectively.

Decided not to include the 20 press ups I normally do on the big vibrating machine, which are normally a result of the post-workout giddy mood!

Chest:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    'So, how much do you bench?'

'Not a lot'

Chest press, flat: 3s8r, 50,60,70

Chest press, decline: 3s8r, 50,60,70

Chest press, incline: 3s8r, 40,50,60 (although I normally do this right after the previous two)

Dumbbell flies: 3s8r, 12,14,16

Cable flies: 3s10r, 15, 17.5, 20

Pec dec: 3s10r, 25, 30, 35

Infrequent:

Pullover (machine)
    : It's so infrequent, I can't remember the weight I do. Normally for when I'm procrastinating before I tackle dumbbell flies.

Shoulders:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think my shoulders are probably the weakest part of my body, although I've been training them a lot recently to compensate!

Standing shoulder press (barbell): 3s8r, 40, 50, I normally find the second set difficult, so I stick with 50

Seated shoulder press (dumbbells): 3s8r, 18,20,22

Shoulder press (Smith machine): I don't know how much the bar weighs, but I can only aim to do 3 sets of 8 with 10Kg plates on either side. Same weight each set..

Shrugs: 3s8r, 15, 20, 25 (I hold the plates in hand)

Dumbbell raises, perpendicular and parallel to chest: in both cases, 3s8r, 10,12,14

Infrequent:

Clean and Jerk: probably not entirely for your shoulders, but I'd feel it in my traps the morning after. I rarely do them anymore, but when I do, it's 3s8r, 40,40,50

Back:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Pull-ups, close grip: I'm pretty heavy, so these are normally just 3s8r while assisted (about 30Kg).

Pull-ups, wide grip: Lol, can't even do one, and I'm so bad at them I don't even suffer the humiliation of doing them assisted. I'll always try and throw one out at the beginning of every workout, though. One day..

Seated row: 3s10r, 35,40,45

Dumbbell lateral raises: 3s,10r, 28,30,32

Bent-over row: 3s,8r, 40,50,60, although I don't normally get close to completion on the last set.

I don't know what it's called, but the cable exercise where you start with your arms crossed vertically in front of you and then throw them out against the resistance. 5s10r 10, 10, 12.5, 12.5, 15

Lateral pull-down: 3s8r, 50,55,60

I'll normally do this twice: first with a wide grip and then with a close grip

Deadlift: 3s8r 80, 90, 100

I actually don't like doing deadlift.. I get a horrible feeling in my lower back straight away; it hurts just to stand up. Once I smashed out a ORM of 135 and the next day it hurt my lower back just to move my neck! Surely that's not normal?

Abs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Medicine ball (7Kg) crunch with legs raise slightly: 4s20r

Supersetted w/

Russian Twist with med ball (7kg): 4s20r

Leg Raises with exercise ball between legs: 4s20r

Incline sit ups with medicine ball pass (7Kg): 3s12r

Hanging leg raises, bent leg: 3s12r

Ab-cruch machine: mainly for resistance/slow reps. 3s12r, 40,40,40

I don't spend time training forearms, but I do try and whiteknuckle whenever possible!

Thanks for reading the post and expect daily updates! I welcome any advice that you might have.

Just as a note, I'll probably do two of these groups a day, apart from arms, and unless I do legs, of which I'll only do one of bis or tris. And occasionally I'll miss out one or two exercises that I've listed if I'm already spent. E.g. one day I'll work chest but will omit cable flies :-) I round it up with 15m on the bike or rowing machine, depending on what's sore.

Open questions:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Concentrated Z-bar curl: 3s10r 20,25,30

I'd like to point out that I feel I could lift more on this exercise, but it actually hurts most at the top of my forearm when I fully straighten it at the bottom. Should I not be going straight-arm? Or do I just have to deal with it until my forearms catch up?

Prev questions:

Spoiler:
    Show

Q. Whenever I'm coming to the end of a workout, and I'm yet to do seated calf raises or incline sit ups, I always get this horrible cramp in my hip. Does anybody else experience this? Is there a stretch I can do to avoid it?

A. Sounds like you have tight hip flexors which cramp when overworked. Do some stretches as seen below.
    http://youtu.be/YQmpO9VT2X4
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    In to watch.
    You seem to have a vague outline of what you're going to do with weights but it may be worth setting yourself a hard and fast plan of action.
    Even better would be to pick up one of many beginner lifting programmes (starting strength, stronglifts, ICF) to give you a routine.

Your deadlift problem would appear to be poor form, keep your head neutral and you won't strain your neck, ask someone to help with your form in the gym.

Sounds like you have tight hip flexors which cramp when overworked. Do some stretches as seen below.

And welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Good luck!
    Thanks

(Original post by RobJ93)
    In to watch.
    You seem to have a vague outline of what you're going to do with weights but it may be worth setting yourself a hard and fast plan of action.
    Even better would be to pick up one of many beginner lifting programmes (starting strength, stronglifts, ICF) to give you a routine.

Your deadlift problem would appear to be poor form, keep your head neutral and you won't strain your neck, ask someone to help with your form in the gym.

Sounds like you have tight hip flexors which cramp when overworked. Do some stretches as seen below.

And welcome!
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I'll see improvements soon!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Didn't have much time at the gym today; it wasn't until 8:45pm that I arrived and they start asking people to leave at 9:50. And I was with my girlfriend - who's only just become a member - so I spent some time teaching her to squat and lunge. Also discovered that my lying leg curl and seated leg curl are different, so I updated OP.

Managed:

Leg extensions: 3s8r, 25, 40, 50

Not the usual 4s10r, but I don't normally do these first, so thought I'd try and squeeze out a set on 50Kg each leg, which I did. But back to normal next leg day.

Lunges: 2s8r, 20Kg each hand (ketbells). Was teaching my girlfriend and was pushed for time, so only did 2 sets -.-

Leg curl (seated): 4s10r, 40,50,60,70

Squat: 4s8r, 70, 70, 80, 80

I didn't do squats until last + my girlfriend isn't like my other partner, who'd scream in my face if I told him I wasn't doing the last two squats, so only did 4 sets.

Lying leg curl
    : 3s8r, 40,45,50

Standing calf raise
    : 3s10r, 60,70,80 (on shoulders)

What I've eaten:

Beans on toast

Refrigerated Starbucks drink

Lucozade

Four tuna and cheese wraps

Banana

About 5 pints of water

Not the healthiest of days (Lucozade + Starbucks drink, plus I woke up late so missed breakfast) but hopefully I'll crave junk food less the more I avoid it and it will get easier!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you already know this but your protein intake for yesterday is nowhere near what it should be.
    You'll need between 0.8-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

I'd suggest doing squats first in your routine and warming up thoroughly beforehand starting with the bar and working your way up. That'd probably help with the hip cramp as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Been away for a while, so not been able to go to the gym. I went yesterday but didn't have a partner (again), so just did some light lat work.

Yesterday:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lat pull-down: usual as OP.

Bent-over row: same as OP, although I wasn't struggling as much on my last set.

Seated row: Was just looking for some MMC at this point, since my lats were already pumped: 20x20, 20x25, 20x30

Did a lat pull-down but on a machine with fixed movement. 20Kg each arm 2x10. Was weird to see that my right arm flies it up but my left lags behind a bit. May stick to this machine for a while to focus on equal strength and proper form!

Did another seated row, but again on a machine with fixed movement opposed to cable. I did 3x8 35, 45, 50. Wasn't too difficult.

This morning:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I did legs, but was pretty tired (without making excuses).

Squat: 3x10 90, 90, [email protected] Wasn't going to jump from 90 to 110, but some guy watched me do my second set then offered to spot me, so why not! Felt shaky and sick after my last set!

Seated calf raises: 9x10 75, 85, 90, 95, [email protected], 85, 75, 50, 25. Felt really good on theses. Calves are sore now. And by this point I really felt sick.

Seated leg curl: Same as in OP. Really found these easy though. Slow reps, really looking for the squeeze at the end. Was burning like mad, but it felt like a rest.

Lying leg curl: Was feeling it in my legs. Went for the slow reps/light weight. 3x10 30, 35, 40.

Seated leg extensions: Did one set lol. I was a spent force by this point. 8 reps with 20Kg on each leg.

Tonight:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Flat bench press: 50Kg 12r, 60Kg 10r, 70Kg 7r, 50Kg 9r. Really disappointing. My partner also pointed out that my form is wrong. Will post a question.

Decline bench press: 3x8, 50Kg, 55Kg, partner said my form was getting really bad so I switch to two 20Kg dumbbells for two sets of 8.

Flies: 3s8r, 14Kg, [email protected], 10Kg.

Not sure if it was because I'd already been, but just wasn't feeling it. Wish my gym was 24hr because writing out how little I did makes me want to go back now!

A quick question about bench press form: Whenever I bench -- be it flat, decline or incline -- my left arm always lifts up closer to the rack than the right. There will literally be two inches between the bar on the left side and 5 or 6in on the right! Do I just need to practise with the bar? Is it because one arm is stronger than the other. When my partner held the bar where it should be, it felt really unusual!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.