Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right,

I've just finished year 12 (UK) and I'm due to start year 13 come September. However, I'm moving to America late Oct - awful timing for me I know, ideally I would of preferred to have moved after my A-Levels have completed but then my brother who's in the year below me would then be in the same predicament I'm having now. Rather me than him!

Anyway I'm just unsure what type of school to attend when in the US. I know year 13 is equivalent to a high school senior year, possibly the last but I don't think there's any point of me going to high school there as I've already got my GCSEs. Not entirely sure but I feel like I don't need to.

Anyway any help would be appreciated!! So stuck where to go at the moment but I wanna be prepared.

thankyou in advance!!! 😄

ReputationRep:
    If I'm not mistaken, high school in America has SAT's, which is the equivalent of A-Levels which is why they finish at the age of 18 so maybe you'll have to do High School since GCSE's alone won't cut it

ReputationRep:
    Hmm that's a bit of a complicated situation... I doubt anyone has done the exact same thing before.

If you have your GCSEs already, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to go to high school. Maybe try applying directly to universities? (assuming you are planning on going to university)

High school in the US is usually only to grade 12 anyways.

ReputationRep:
    SAT is not really equivalent to A-Levels. It's basically just a general standardized test.

It may be worth it to take the SAT if you think you can do well, but I wouldn't be surprised if some universities will accept you without it as well.

I don't know exactly how hard it is since I have only taken the postgrad equivalent (GRE), but the GRE was very easy.

ReputationRep:
    Like ihavemooedtoday said I already have my GCSE's so repeating high school did seem abit silly to me.

I might try and apply directly to uni's but I thought I would need a little bit more than just my GCSE's and half an A-level (which I will get my results for this summer eek!) so I'll look into these SATs. I saw that when researching this issue but kinda dismissed it.

On the plus side I want to study Psychology at uni and there's many prestigious uni's there for it lol! Thank you for your help everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    SAT is not really equivalent to A-Levels. It's basically just a general standardized test.

It may be worth it to take the SAT if you think you can do well, but I wouldn't be surprised if some universities will accept you without it as well.

I don't know exactly how hard it is since I have only taken the postgrad equivalent (GRE), but the GRE was very easy.
    Btw, did you have to revise for this GRE? Maybe I can find an undergrad equiv seeing as I would of been going to uni next September if I stayed in the UK anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm that's a bit of a complicated situation... I doubt anyone has done the exact same thing before.

If you have your GCSEs already, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to go to high school. Maybe try applying directly to universities? (assuming you are planning on going to university)

High school in the US is usually only to grade 12 anyways.
    Applying directly to universities with only GCSEs? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    Applying directly to universities with only GCSEs? :facepalm:
    Yeah that was my reaction when I first saw it online, wouldn't happen here lol. But apparently some unis will accept it in US!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irenebntg)
    Btw, did you have to revise for this GRE? Maybe I can find an undergrad equiv seeing as I would of been going to uni next September if I stayed in the UK anyway.
    I spent about 3 hours revising for that, and did pretty well.

It's very similar to the SAT I think. Simple maths and logic, some reading + writing, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irenebntg)
    Yeah that was my reaction when I first saw it online, wouldn't happen here lol. But apparently some unis will accept it in US!
    Unis in the US tend to be a little more flexible, so if you have good SAT scores and good extra-curricular, given your circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if good unis will accept you. Probably not something like Stanford, but there are many unis in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Unis in the US tend to be a little more flexible, so if you have good SAT scores and good extra-curricular, given your circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if good unis will accept you. Probably not something like Stanford, but there are many unis in the US.
    Thank you so much for your help. Think I'm a step closer to sorting out what I'm going to do in the future now. But I sooo need to up my extra-curricular. I used to be so sporty but now I've lost it since all the serious exams started 😑 I know American unis make a huge emphasis on extra curricular aswell!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.