Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Press stock tips Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For those with more experience, do you pay any attention to share tips from newspapers? I think for me its a good strategy whilst I build my knowledge over time. Thoughts?

(Original post by eluorsp)
      For those with more experience, do you pay any attention to share tips from newspapers? I think for me its a good strategy whilst I build my knowledge over time. Thoughts?
      No, when CNBC Mad Money's Jim Cramer is telling you to buy, ****ing sell that **** as whatever it was that alerted them to it had clearly passed with every Tom, **** and Harry now buying in which pushes the price up if you own the shares so selling at a profit but if you're in the market to buy, it's a bad policy to invest in.

To recap, it's a ****ing horrible strategy and if you think it's a good one, don't play the markets!

Also I'd wait until the correction comes before you start buying up shares.

ReputationRep:
      Lol no. It's a terrible idea.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      No, when CNBC Mad Money's Jim Cramer is telling you to buy, ****ing sell that **** as whatever it was that alerted them to it had clearly passed with every Tom, **** and Harry now buying in which pushes the price up if you own the shares so selling at a profit but if you're in the market to buy, it's a bad policy to invest in.

To recap, it's a ****ing horrible strategy and if you think it's a good one, don't play the markets!

Also I'd wait until the correction comes before you start buying up shares.
      I'm not talking penny stocks. The Daily Mail tends to tip the smaller caps and the Times and Telegraph tend to go for the FTSE 350 and as such don't have much impact on the prices. Also I don't follow every tip, just if I agree with their logic.

May I ask how you initially find stocks to invest in? There are like over 2000 listed companies so I just thought press tips were a good place to start but seems i'm on my own here!

I'm not talking penny stocks. The Daily Mail tends to tip the smaller caps and the Times and Telegraph tend to go for the FTSE 350 and as such don't have much impact on the prices. Also I don't follow every tip, just if I agree with their logic.

May I ask how you initially find stocks to invest in? There are like over 2000 listed companies so I just thought press tips were a good place to start but seems i'm on my own here!
        Who said I'm talking about penny stocks also? I'd stay away from them too personally.

Again the Daily Mail, Telegraph and Times are all the same, they're recommending based on whats already happened and is too late for those reading to take advantage of.

I found stocks by looking at certain markets, separating companies based on the 'Industry Classification Benchmark' and looked for trends as well as dividend yields, I also look at all the information available for the company on Bloomberg which is the best place to start. It's not easy but it pays off.

Yes, you're on your own.
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        Using one source to base your investment decision is always a bad idea. I dont have any money in the market myself but i'm very interested and watch Bloomberg for a good hour a day myself as well as looking at key metrics so that i have a mental list of companies i want to be in when i do have the cash.

Research is key. You also need to know what your goal is and over what timeframe.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Rakas21)
        Using one source to base your investment decision is always a bad idea. I dont have any money in the market myself but i'm very interested and watch Bloomberg for a good hour a day myself as well as looking at key metrics so that i have a mental list of companies i want to be in when i do have the cash.

Research is key. You also need to know what your goal is and over what timeframe.
        Take your own advice, instead of spending an hour a day watching bloomberg (largely bull****) try reading company financials or central bank speeches or whatever and taking notes. That is actual research. Not trying to be a ****, just saying...even if you don't have money in the market it is worth preparing for the day when you do

...I do watch Mad Money sometimes though for the lulz.

(Original post by webuffett)
          Take your own advice, instead of spending an hour a day watching bloomberg (largely bull****) try reading company financials or central bank speeches or whatever and taking notes. That is actual research. Not trying to be a ****, just saying...even if you don't have money in the market it is worth preparing for the day when you do

...I do watch Mad Money sometimes though for the lulz.
          CNBC on the other hand is a must watch, Squawk on the Street is by far the best program likewise Closing Bell, it highlights what you'll read in the FT the next day

ReputationRep:
          Bottom line, if its in the media, you have probably missed the boat.

My top share tips at the moment FWIW are..

VOG..get in on the ground floor with a penny share that has great prospects

IAG cheap at the moment due to nervousness re plane crashes,the ukraine conflict etc but a stable profitable business that is going from strength to strength

VOG ..has wallowed in the post split doldrums for a while after the sell off of Verizon . Returns a great dividend and plenty of scope for growth

CNA Again a great divi and everyone needs energy right?? Winter is just around the corner and you know what that means? gas on,lights on,heating on,meters running ticking up big profits in the new year

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2014
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources
        How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.