The Student Room Group

3rd class honours degree in graphics is that bad or good, is it completely useless?

what can I do with that? can i still do a masters?? somewhere?
Reply 1
Original post by richrichie

No you would need to do a diploma beforehand to graduate onto a master's degree..

Less useless than it would be in many other subjects. As graphic design is very largely a practical occupation and not an academic one, your portfolio is likely to be much more influential in getting you started on a career than any degree.
Make up for it with your portfolio - try commit some time to producing some really high quality work. Some masters degrees will reduce entry requirements for students with great potential, but if you didn't do so well in a BA, why do an MA?
Reply 4

What did you want to do your degree for before you started?
Look, in all honesty a 3rd class degree is pretty weak and won't show you in a very good light to place you apply to. General impression I get is a 1st is outstanding, a 2:1 is someone prepared to work, 2:2 is someone who's heart probably wasnt completely in it and a 3rd was someone who did the bare minimum to get by. I've spent some time in and around recruitment agencies and several of my friends work in recruitment in London, that is pretty much how a recruiter sees your personality and work ethic when just looking at a degree grade. The same is probably true of academic institutions that you may be applying to for a masters.

It would probably be best to make your application stronger and try to reduce the negative impact of a 3rd by gaining relevant experience as unpaid/volunteer work as thats the best way to get some experience quick (paid job if you can).

You have to stand out to the person reviewing your application as an individual who is genuinely motivated and interested in what you're applying for. They wont be looking to offer the position to people who will slack off, half ass it and try to get away with the bare minimum even if they only SLIGHTLY think you might, doubt is enough for them to pick someone else over you. Sacraficing your own free time to work in a sector relevant to what you're applying for shows that you're willing to suffer the inconvenience of doing probably a crappy job, for nothing in return. That shows commitment and motivation, which can be a lot more influential than a degree grade in the long run.

If you feel you can't be bothered to get volunteer work done or that you would rather wait for a paid job/keep applying until you get in rather than work for free, I doubt you will get in to most places.
Reply 6
what can I do with that?

Go army. Be soldier.
Reply 7
Useless, tbf.
I think it might let your applications to jobs down but if you want to do freelance work then you don't have to disclose what your degree classification is. It is just down to your portfolio and experience. Make your portfolio extremely strong, try to get as much voluntary experience as possible through internships and placements and make your applications strong that way. Is there a particular reason why you got a 3rd? You could always try to resit the modules you failed on if you can.
I don't think your grade matters as much for creative subjects, design is very subjective and your portfolio matters most at the end of the day. I achieved a 2:2 and have already completed some job interviews and received some positive responses about my design work. Build up on your portfolio, set yourself design briefs or take on projects for friends or family e.g. designing logos, business cards, etc. I think applying for internships and gaining as much experience as you can is a better idea than doing a masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending