Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So here’s the deal. I going to be attending the LSE for the MSc in A&F this coming fall and was wondering if I’d be better off applying for an internship or a full-time for when summer 2015 comes around.

Profile:

- 24 yo
    - six-month offcycle internship at a BB IB, back office controlling/accounting type position, product control basically.
    - six- month offcycle internship at another BB IB, front office salestrading.
    - athletic background, former semi-pro athlete.

The obvious answer would be to apply directly for a career start/analyst type position as I already have one year’s experience under my belt – actually, one of the reason’s I wanted to do a UK MSc was that I wanted to do a 1 year program (not 2 years like in Continental Europe) as I felt it better suited my personal situation (1 year exp.)

But…. there is a but. I’m thinking of applying to a corporate finance type internship as I have yet to undertake such an internship (I’m thinking M&A, ECM, DCM, Lev. Fin,…) and seems like it’s an area of banking that would interest me a lot. I’ve been reading up quite a bit on the subject and have talked with some friends about it that work in M&A and DCM. Securing such an internship would 1) let me know if I’d enjoy a career in that area, 2) give me a better shot at securing a full-time position afterwords.

Of course, it’s always possible to apply directly to full-time analyst positions in M&A/capital markets but without previous relevant experience, it’s tough.

What do you think?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.