Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't sign into email on phone. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else having trouble signing into their email via their phone? I'm with BT (yes, I know..) and I know they are having a lot of trouble with the email service at the moment because they are migrating from BT Yahoo Mail to BT Mail, but I am able to get my mail on my computer and unable to get it on my phone. It's a Moto G and it's saying it's unable to sign in. When I try to sign in manually, it either won't change to the sign in screen at all, or when it does, it tells me my username and/or password is incorrect. The username and password are both correct, and I've checked repeatedly by signing in on the computer, so is this a problem with the phone, BT or what? And who do I contact to fix it? BT is totally clogged up with complaints at the moment. My contract is with Tesco and I bought the phone there and it would be a short trip to the phone shop to ask them, but is it in their power to do anything about it? Help, please! +8 rep available!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Is anyone else having trouble signing into their email via their phone? I'm with BT (yes, I know..) and I know they are having a lot of trouble with the email service at the moment because they are migrating from BT Yahoo Mail to BT Mail, but I am able to get my mail on my computer and unable to get it on my phone. It's a Moto G and it's saying it's unable to sign in. When I try to sign in manually, it either won't change to the sign in screen at all, or when it does, it tells me my username and/or password is incorrect. The username and password are both correct, and I've checked repeatedly by signing in on the computer, so is this a problem with the phone, BT or what? And who do I contact to fix it? BT is totally clogged up with complaints at the moment. My contract is with Tesco and I bought the phone there and it would be a short trip to the phone shop to ask them, but is it in their power to do anything about it? Help, please! +8 rep available!
    BT you say, well they're always clogged up with complaints, poor service.

Regarding the issue..

When you use the web on your phone are you able to connect to other websites without issue, are you able to login to TSR using your phone? If so, then the issue is unlikely related to the service provider.

Have you tried resetting your password, and then tried logging in on your phone, if so, and the issue is not resolved then..

The issue is likely to be software, or firmware related.

You could try taking it to the phone shop, but I'd wait for other suggestions/solutions on here before bothering (Some real experts on here). If you take it and they spot an issue, they could fix it but that'd mean paying :\

Just my thoughts,
    Michael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    BT you say, well they're always clogged up with complaints, poor service.

Regarding the issue..

When you use the web on your phone are you able to connect to other websites without issue, are you able to login to TSR using your phone? If so, then the issue is unlikely related to the service provider.

Have you tried resetting your password, and then tried logging in on your phone, if so, and the issue is not resolved then..

The issue is likely to be software, or firmware related.

You could try taking it to the phone shop, but I'd wait for other suggestions/solutions on here before bothering (Some real experts on here). If you take it and they spot an issue, they could fix it but that'd mean paying :\

Just my thoughts,
    Michael
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, I can use other websites. I've changed my password several times, as that's what the BT advice says. We are being told that our account may have been compromised (along with the entire customer base, I imagine) so I have followed their instructions for doing that. The odd thing is that it clearly works once a day, because first thing in the morning, there's a crop of emails that have been delivered overnight, and then nothing. I've deleted and reinstalled my email account 3 times, twice being successful and the third time with no effect. I'm pretty sure it's BT's fault, but worry because it's only on my phone and not my computer. I'm afraid I don't know what firmware means...

I'm going to Tesco tomorrow anyway, so I can call in. I only got the phone 2 months ago, so I shall be very persuasive about them doing it for free. (I can be very persuasive in an 'I know my rights' annoying old lady kind of way...)

Anyway, thanks for answering, and here's your +8

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, I can use other websites. I've changed my password several times, as that's what the BT advice says. We are being told that our account may have been compromised (along with the entire customer base, I imagine) so I have followed their instructions for doing that. The odd thing is that it clearly works once a day, because first thing in the morning, there's a crop of emails that have been delivered overnight, and then nothing. I've deleted and reinstalled my email account 3 times, twice being successful and the third time with no effect. I'm pretty sure it's BT's fault, but worry because it's only on my phone and not my computer. I'm afraid I don't know what firmware means...

I'm going to Tesco tomorrow anyway, so I can call in. I only got the phone 2 months ago, so I shall be very persuasive about them doing it for free. (I can be very persuasive in an 'I know my rights' annoying old lady kind of way...)

Anyway, thanks for answering, and here's your +8
    Given that it's BT, I can't really put anything past them, recently changed SP myself, everytime we'd have an issue, their first solution is "Have you tried restarting the router.", or "Have you tried changing the wireless password."

You have all the right to be persuasive and angry.. If you purchase something from them, then you should expect it to be fully functional.

If Tesco have no solutions or whatever, then I'd recommend trying to contact whoever the email is set-up with.

ReputationRep:
    Given that it's BT, I can't really put anything past them, recently changed SP myself, everytime we'd have an issue, their first solution is "Have you tried restarting the router.", or "Have you tried changing the wireless password."

You have all the right to be persuasive and angry.. If you purchase something from them, then you should expect it to be fully functional.

If Tesco have no solutions or whatever, then I'd recommend trying to contact whoever the email is set-up with.
    Email and broadband is with BT, phone contract is with Tesco. (I'm an adventurous consumer...) I shall be charmingly sweet and very persistent, and then, if that doesn't work, I shall use my teacher voice....

ReputationRep:
    Email and broadband is with BT, phone contract is with Tesco. (I'm an adventurous consumer...) I shall be charmingly sweet and very persistent, and then, if that doesn't work, I shall use my teacher voice....
    Ouch, seems the person from the helpline didn't use the script.

That very persuasive teacher voice

I had some very scary teachers in school (Mainly my ICT teacher)

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, seems the person from the helpline didn't use the script.

That very persuasive teacher voice

I had some very scary teachers in school (Mainly my ICT teacher)
    It's always best to use it sparingly. Don't want to wear it out. Always have something in reserve.

ReputationRep:
    It's always best to use it sparingly. Don't want to wear it out. Always have something in reserve.
    Yea that's true.

Out of curiosity, what subject(s) do you teach?

ReputationRep:
    Yea that's true.

Out of curiosity, what subject(s) do you teach?
    English, so I know nothing at all about computers or phones beyond the basic user knowledge, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    English, so I know nothing at all about computers or phones beyond the basic user knowledge, unfortunately.
    Haha, that's fine, it means people like myself can make a living, probably shouldn't really say it like that, gives people the impression that I aspire to read from a script. (IT is one of the only subjects that I'm really gifted with)

ReputationRep:
    Haha, that's fine, it means people like myself can make a living, probably shouldn't really say it like that, gives people the impression that I aspire to read from a script. (IT is one of the only subjects that I'm really gifted with)
    I always make special pets of the IT boys in my classes. I always need them. (And thus far it has always been boys, although I like to operate equal opportunities favouritism.)

ReputationRep:
    I always make special pets of the IT boys in my classes. I always need them. (And thus far it has always been boys, although I like to operate equal opportunities favouritism.)
    Hah, this brings a few memories back. For one of my subjects, I got selected to be the IT pet. Once had an issue with the projector (not had much experience with it before, so I struggled to fix it.. Teacher had a fun time though)

I guess it's far better have IT students try and fix the issue, they tend to be more fun.. Whereas someone from the IT support staff just walk into the classroom with a nasty attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, this brings a few memories back. For one of my subjects, I got selected to be the IT pet. Once had an issue with the projector (not had much experience with it before, so I struggled to fix it.. Teacher had a fun time though)

I guess it's far better have IT students try and fix the issue, they tend to be more fun.. Whereas someone from the IT support staff just walk into the classroom with a nasty attitude.
    I make a point of being very, very nice to IT staff. It always pays.

ReputationRep:
    Is this an issue with logging into e-mail via the web browser, or e-mails being delivered to the mail app?

I keep having this issue with the latter on my phone (and ipad) too :sad: It stops for a while, but then tends to start up again a few hours later. I think patience may be the best solution unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Is this an issue with logging into e-mail via the web browser, or e-mails being delivered to the mail app?

I keep having this issue with the latter on my phone (and ipad) too :sad: It stops for a while, but then tends to start up again a few hours later. I think patience may be the best solution unfortunately.
    Err.. I am not very good with the terms... If you mean can I get the mail by logging onto the BT.com website and getting my emails from there, then yes, I can do that. It won't open on the email app on the home page of the phone.

I'm sorry, I was thinking that through as I typed it... I think the answer to your question is that it's to the app. I agree, it comes and goes, and has done for a few weeks, but it's been pretty constant since the weekend. I'm so glad I'm not alone. It must be them, not us.

ReputationRep:
    Err.. I am not very good with the terms... If you mean can I get the mail by logging onto the BT.com website and getting my emails from there, then yes, I can do that. It won't open on the email app on the home page of the phone.

I'm sorry, I was thinking that through as I typed it... I think the answer to your question is that it's to the app. I agree, it comes and goes, and has done for a few weeks, but it's been pretty constant since the weekend. I'm so glad I'm not alone. It must be them, not us.
    Hah, don't worry. Yes, that is exactly what I meant.
    Okay, mine's not been that bad. It's working fine for me at the moment, but I have an iphone, so there may be some differences there.
    Hope it comes back for you soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Hah, don't worry. Yes, that is exactly what I meant.
    Okay, mine's not been that bad. It's working fine for me at the moment, but I have an iphone, so there may be some differences there.
    Hope it comes back for you soon!
    Are you BT as well? I think there are all manner of issues going on at the moment. I haven't even attempted to use my ipad because I know how it will go. I also can't sign into this account using the email program on the macbook I'm using, but that's not a big deal as I use chrome and get the email delivered on that. I have no idea why at all...

ReputationRep:
    Something just clicked..

It might be worth trying to download a different browser on your phone. My friend informed me that BT do seem to have issues with certain browsers.

ReputationRep:
    Something just clicked..

It might be worth trying to download a different browser on your phone (Preferably Chrome). I believe you can install it on both the Moto G, and iPhone.
    I already use chrome on the phone.

ReputationRep:
    Are you BT as well? I think there are all manner of issues going on at the moment. I haven't even attempted to use my ipad because I know how it will go. I also can't sign into this account using the email program on the macbook I'm using, but that's not a big deal as I use chrome and get the email delivered on that. I have no idea why at all...
    Yep.
    General rule seems to be that if it gets delivered to the app on my phone, it will to my ipad. If it doesn't to one, it doesn't to the other either.

I presume it must all be related to the whole switchover thing. My phone likes to delete the contacts every now and then as well. Don't know whether that's down to the phone or down to yahoo/BT though :erm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.