Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maintenance loan and twins Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My parents have a high income so on the finance calculator it says i'll get an estimated £3800 for my maintenance loan and no grant, however the accomodation at my chosen university is very expensive and i'll have to pay £1000 of the cost, however i'm a twin and despite my parents high income they can't afford to support both of us so is there any extra help for families trying to support 2 children starting university at the same time?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Becca

There is a certain amount taken off the total household income of your parents if they support more than one student. The allowance is £1130. If this brings their total household income under the thresholds for extra support, you could apply to be income assessed to see if there was any extra that could be awarded.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi Becca

There is a certain amount taken off the total household income of your parents if they support more than one student. The allowance is £1130. If this brings their total household income under the thresholds for extra support, you could apply to be income assessed to see if there was any extra that could be awarded.

Thanks
    But what if taking that £1130 off the household income doesn't put us in the threshold for extra help, what do we do then? Our household income is approximately £60,000 which seems like a lot but when I have to pay an extra £1000 for accommodation on top of the estimated £3,800 maintenance loan I'll get, my parents can't afford that and I have been unable to get a job in 2 and a half years so can't put money towards it either. I would like to add that we also have an older sister who my parents have to also fully support as she has yet to get a job after graduating.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.