Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Our exam board is making us do a 10 minutes exam were you speak about a subject to your examiner for three minutes while they record you, then they ask you questions for 6-7 minutes which you have to answer. Has anyone already experienced this, if so, any tips? I'm quiet and shy so this is going to be a challenge for me
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Choose something you're interested in and passionate about (it doesn't have to be academic), and that you think you can answer questions on. To deal with shyness, have an idea of what you want to say beforehand and write out some trigger words on cards to remind you (do not use a script). When it comes to answering questions, don't be afraid to pause for a few seconds before answering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    Our exam board is making us do a 10 minutes exam were you speak about a subject to your examiner for three minutes while they record you, then they ask you questions for 6-7 minutes which you have to answer. Has anyone already experienced this, if so, any tips? I'm quiet and shy so this is going to be a challenge for me
    The biggest problem with shyness is the myth that you find it impossible to do anything involving public speaking. This is untrue. I think you're more introverted. Just before going in for the exam try and find your nerves in your body. Once you have located them they will soon disappear. Try and know what to say too. It doesn't have to be a mechanical speech word for word but a few bullet point allowing for elaboration creates a genuine feel to the speech.

Read this: http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts
    It's an excellent link and I'm certain it will help you out.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, both answers have been helpful although I haven't actually taken the exam yet. The school has now decided that we have to talk about whatever subject we used in our writing to argue coursework. This has narrowed it down a bit, and everything should be fine....hopefully.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.