Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi,

Currently my firm choice's offer is AAB, however, I want to change my course and university on results day. I know I'll be able to use adjustment if I exceed my offer, or clearing if I don't get the grades. However, what will happen if I get AAB?

The university course I want to change to asks for around 280 UCAS points, so I'll probably exceed it , I'm just worried about getting a place in clearing.

Has anyone had any experiences related to this?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cxx)
    hi,

Currently my firm choice's offer is AAB, however, I want to change my course and university on results day. I know I'll be able to use adjustment if I exceed my offer, or clearing if I don't get the grades. However, what will happen if I get AAB?

The university course I want to change to asks for around 280 UCAS points, so I'll probably exceed it , I'm just worried about getting a place in clearing.

Has anyone had any experiences related to this?
    If you know now that you don't want to go to your firm university then contact them now to explain that.

They can arrange it so that you go into Clearing now so once you've got your results you can go straight into looking for places elsewhere.

Don't wait until results day - at that point it can take up to a fortnight to get into clearing - by which point most of the places are gone. The average time for a release into clearing is between 24 and 48 hours...that is a long time in clearing.

It is much better to arrange this before results day - you can even start contacting universities you are interested in *before* results day, giving them your predicted grades and clearing number and asking them to get in touch on results day if they have space (ie so that *they* do the ringing and you have a choice of a few places instead of spending the week following results sitting on hold).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you know now that you don't want to go to your firm university then contact them now to explain that.

They can arrange it so that you go into Clearing now so once you've got your results you can go straight into looking for places elsewhere.

Don't wait until results day - at that point it can take up to a fortnight to get into clearing - by which point most of the places are gone. The average time for a release into clearing is between 24 and 48 hours...that is a long time in clearing.

It is much better to arrange this before results day - you can even start contacting universities you are interested in *before* results day, giving them your predicted grades and clearing number and asking them to get in touch on results day if they have space (ie so that *they* do the ringing and you have a choice of a few places instead of spending the week following results sitting on hold).
    Thanks, I'm just worried I won't get a place in clearing lol
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cxx)
    Thanks, I'm just worried I won't get a place in clearing lol
    What subject are you looking to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    What subject are you looking to study?
    I currently hold an offer for Psychology but I want to change to accounting and finance, or management and finance, anything related to those courses that is available, but not at a russell group university as I don't do A level maths.

I've already researched the ones I want to apply to and I meet the entry requirements, they're decent but less competitive unis , Huddersfield, Portsmouth, Nottingham Trent , etc
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cxx)
    I currently hold an offer for Psychology but I want to change to accounting and finance, or management and finance, anything related to those courses that is available, but not at a russell group university as I don't do A level maths.

I've already researched the ones I want to apply to and I meet the entry requirements, they're decent but less competitive unis , Huddersfield, Portsmouth, Nottingham Trent , etc
    I've PMd you

With AAB or even ABB you're in a very strong position in clearing for A&F.

ReputationRep:
    OP as on of the poster suggested definitely start contacting uni's you are interested in now.

I have experience doing this (this was 4 years ago am now a graduate). I initially applied to UCAS for a science course but as results day came closer I realized I was no longer interested at all in studying this specific course at uni and wanted to do a social science course. I had already had taken a gap year and therefore didn't want to wait another year to apply. I therefore went to my career adviser at college, I can't remember everything she said but she definitely assured me it was possible to change into a different course. Therefore, before results day I researched some of the uni's I was interested in online. Once I got my results I phoned the uni that offered me a place for the sciences course however because I had applied to that uni as my firm already they said they were not able to offer me a place (I also think it is because I didn't get grades needed for that course). I then called in my second choice and they offered me a place even thought my grades where lower than what they usually asked. However I think they took me as I did sciences subjects and even though my grades were not as high they were good in relation to the subjects I did which one would consider tough.

4 years down the line I am glad I changed my course, cause I am certain I would have dropped out of Uni if I did the other course. I recommend that if you apply to other uni, try and see if you can get ones you have visited, if you can. I would also advise you to be more proactive than I was and even call the uni's you are interested in and talk to the admissions advisers. I also seen that clearing has changed over the years, therefore if you can start applying now do so, as it will make your results day go much smoother.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.