Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to Europe with my lazy, overweight friend.. Advice please? Watch

So in a few weeks I'm going on a weeks vacation to Europe (don't want to be too specific in case she's on here!) with a friend from my hometown and I'm really excited about it because I haven't been on a proper holiday that didn't involve working/interning in ages and I love travelling! I get on mostly really well with this girl too but the only thing is, she's fairly overweight and as a result, quite unfit.

I'm getting nervous about whether she'll be able to handle all the walking. Where we live (international) you can't really walk anywhere it's all cars and cabs, but even back in uni (we both go to diff unis in the uk) she barely walks anywhere and it's a known fact amongst all her friends. There is definitely going to be a lot of walking around involved, as a lot of places we want to visit are pretty close to each other. My friend gets winded just walking around when we're shopping and stuff and keeps asking where the place is and if we're close and stuff.. Just to be clear, I don't care what she weighs, I'm far from being skinny myself, but I can handle a fair bit of walking about.

Also, when I go to a place, I want to explore it and see all its sights and tourist attractions. However, we seem to have slightly different ideas, I mean I made myself very clear when we were booking the holiday, I told her I wanted to be very touristy and take in as much during the day as possible and then yeah of course, drink and party and have fun too. Everytime we talk about it though, she's always like ooh yeah we'll have loads of fun in the evening, I bet we're going to be so drunk, I've already scoped out this famous weed cafe I want to go to. And I'm all yeaah can't wait to walk around, see this sight and that museum and shop on that street.. It's just a little annoying. I just found out from another friend that when my friend and her parents went to another amazing city for a vacation, she just stayed in the hotel room with her friend while her parents went about and explored the city! I don't understand that attitude of going to a foreign city and then barely seeing it.

I havent been been to this country before and I'm really excited and don't want to be hindered by my friend. Even if I do manage to drag her around, she gets very lazy and sulky when she's tired and I just don't want her to ruin the holiday! I'm sorry if I sound awful, but I did make all this fairly clear (but more subtly) to her and she keeps insisting she's on the same page as me, she looves sightseeing, but her actions and behavior suggest otherwise! Any advice on how to handle this? Maybe how to gently talk to her, or just how to handle her on vacation ?

ReputationRep:
    Go solo then?

I wouldn't have to effort to be continuously weighted down by someone, literally.

ReputationRep:
    As unfortunate as the situation is, you're going to have to deal with it and lose the weight.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you get there and you find that your friend isn't able to keep up with the walking and sightseeing and so on, you're going to have to gently suggest that perhaps she chill out by the pool (or in the "weed cafe!) whilst you go and explore on your own.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acidy)
    As unfortunate as the situation is, you're going to have to deal with it and lose the weight.
    You didn't read the original post at all...
    • Welcome Squad

Ditch her

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.