Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does it give off the wrong impression to like/favourite things about private school? Watch

Some examples are:

'That infamous 'we will send you to state school if you carry on like this' talk'

'You know you go to a private school when you get three more weeks of Summer than everyone else'

I'm honestly not a snob, but have just found things like this on facebook/twitter funny and liked as I can relate to them, but I feel like I'm being judged and I don't want people to stop liking my when I get along with everyone and I don't judge people on how wealthy they are.

Am I just getting paranoid?

ReputationRep:
    Loads of state schools are really up their own backsides and constantly try to invent fake traditions. Others try and do backdoor selection and so on.

At the end of the day, if your parents can pay, or you're fortunate enough to be a scholar - good on you. All the jealousy and everything else is just absurd and childish. You only really get it on here. I've never ever seen anyone at university make a big deal about public school.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Inverted snobbery?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I follow a twitter thing about typical 'grammar school' quirks so *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    To be honest I follow a twitter thing about typical 'grammar school' quirks so *shrug*
    What's typical at grammar school?

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of the Grammar school ones, you are being a tad paranoid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Loads of state schools are really up their own backsides and constantly try to invent fake traditions. Others try and do backdoor selection and so on.

At the end of the day, if your parents can pay, or you're fortunate enough to be a scholar - good on you. All the jealousy and everything else is just absurd and childish. You only really get it on here. I've never ever seen anyone at university make a big deal about public school.
    People feel able to talk more openly about their feelings in the anonymity of a web forum. They still have those feelings offline, they just aren't so visible. I definitely have come across animus (often hidden as joking or 'little remarks') in relation to which school people attended. To get some perspective though, if you have access to a privilege, you should be prepared for people who don't to not be completely delighted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    People feel able to talk more openly about their feelings in the anonymity of a web forum. They still have those feelings offline, they just aren't so visible. I definitely have come across animus (often hidden as joking or 'little remarks') in relation to which school people attended. To get some perspective though, if you have access to a privilege, you should be prepared for people who don't to not be completely delighted.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    When I went up to my interviews at Oxford (which went terribly ) I met so many people (who were lovely, nearly without exception) who would say 'I haven't seen anyone from a private school yet' in a way that seemed to suggest people who went to independent schools were the devils spawn. Then I'd cheerfully proclaim that I went to one, or just say 'hello!' and a lot of them would just look confused, as if to say, 'but you don't sound like the duchess of poshvilleshire or talk about how many holiday homes you own', or tell me consolingly that they couldn't tell. Which I found amusing. But I think it does show most people do jump to conclusions about the independent school system and the sorts of people involved with private schools.

I think if people have parents or family members or anyone who is willing to pay for them to get the education they want at a certain school, then yes they are very fortunate indeed and should recognise that, but at the same time there are a lot of families who choose between owning a car, or buying a plush house, and paying for their kid's education while living in the cheapest possible rubbish flat and really cutting back on buying things they don't really, really need. Also a lot of private schools have decent bursary systems although this is definitely not enough to give every child who can't afford school fees a place. So although you will obviously find the seriously rich sending their kids to private schools, there are also a whole range of other people with different household incomes, and also families that are sacrificing a lot financially to send their kids to a fee paying school.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    What's typical at grammar school?
    https://twitter.com/Grammarschools
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I can relate... with some :laugh:

:mmm:

Edit: Okay that's a lie, there are quite a few
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's like a TSR monologue.

Although with this one:

http://t.co/5hub7mY7cK

These people would cry if they knew how much a Norland Nanny earns.

ReputationRep:
    You're over thinking it, but based on personal experience - people don't really treat you any differently based on what you like etc. Just be who you are, don't feel like you're walking on eggshells because you're not

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.