Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hard to explain. I wasn't actually involved but I feel like I could have prevented it from happening.

Two lanes at the traffic light and I was in the turning right lane, I had to wait in the middle as cars from the opposite were coming straight down. There was a car waiting to turn right opposite me, which meant he had to wait until the lane on the left of me was clear, he crossed in front of me to turn right and crashes into the car going straight in the lane left of me.

I feel like it was my fault because he probably thought I was letting him go as I had left so much room between the car in front of me. So he probably thought there was no cars going straight in the lane next to me! It was a busy junction so a lot was going on,

I feel like I could have stopped it had I moved more forward but I never signalled him to go at all. I just didn't want to block too much! I am a new driver too.

I feel sooo guilty!

Was it my fault or should he have stayed and looked for himself rather than making assumptions? He also moved off at such a fast speed. In a way I feel he should have gone slower and crawled right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what you say, it sounds like the guy just wasn't paying attention. Definately not your fault.

ReputationRep:
    Were you signalling right? Were you moving into position then waiting for the road you had to cross to become clear? If yes to both, it doesn't sound like you were to blame in any way at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not you're fault. I know what you mean though. Even as a pedestrian crossing a 2 lane road, the amount of people who will signal you across but not realise there's a lorry coming straight up the other lane is ridiculous. Nobody should let anyone cross lanes in my opinion, as a car or pedestrian. But it certainly wasn't your fault if the driver took it upon themselves to change lanes and collide with another car which they obviously weren't paying attention to.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    From a cold legal standpoint, you're definitely not to blame. The other driver was crossing lanes, so it was his responsibility to make sure the way was clear. This is true even if he was signalled to go (by you or anyone else). This is how a lot of insurance fraud happens, where someone flashes their headlights to let someone out at a junction then rams into the side of them, according to the law it's the one pulling out who's at fault.

From the sounds of it he was simply impatient and there's no reason, given that you weren't heading straight on, that any signal from you would've meant anything anyway, so there's really nothing to worry about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.