Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Give up everything to go travelling? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything worse than feeling stuck? That feeling of both helplessness and hopelessness. Where you can’t see how you’ll ever change the situation you’re in. Perhaps you’re in an unhappy long term relationship, too scared of being alone to end it? Perhaps you’re trapped in a job, worried you won’t find anything better if you do decide to leave? Or perhaps you feel confined in the place you live, longing to escape and to see the world, but you don’t feel like you can just up and leave?

I’m sure we’ve all felt like this at some point in our lives, and if you haven’t, I’m sure you will at some point along the way.

I’m currently feeling it now for a number of reasons. And I intend to share them with you, in the hope that I may come to some sort of conclusion which will allow me to no longer feel this way.

First though, a little about me: I’m 26 years old. I’ve lived in one city all my life. My parents live 10 minutes away. I’ve had a job since I was 16. I studied hard and was fortunate enough to enter full time employment the day after I finished my last university exam. I have a rewarding job. I own an apartment. I have many friends.

But I feel empty.

I sometimes wonder if I’ve achieved too much too soon; if I became an adult too early. I’ve had a mortgage since I was 23. I’ve been self-sufficient since my first ever job working in a supermarket at the weekends. While I was working hard to achieve my next promotion, my friends were off travelling the world. Perhaps that’s what I should have been doing.

I’ve been thinking a lot recently. A lot about the things that are truly important in life, the things that I’ll look back on with a smile when I’m old and grey.

Will I remember how I managed to invest my savings in shares which increased by a couple of %. Or would I be better using that money to have a life changing experience. I feel like the answer is obvious. I’ve heard that experiences last forever, whereas material objects only last until something new comes along. Having money in the bank is all well and good, but what’s the point of having it if it’s not used for something amazing? Am I really intending to use it to pay down my mortgage? I completely understand that financially it’s a sensible thing to do, but surely that’s not the best use from a memorable life perspective. I’m not sure many old people look back on their lives and smile about being sensible throughout.

I feel chained down by my mortgage and my job. I spend a lot of time wondering if it’s worth sacrificing these things to go and explore the world, having no clue where I’ll end up along the way. But then the excitement of not knowing, not being in control, of not being comfortable takes over. I long to feel less comfortable; to challenge myself.

I feel fortunate about my circumstances. I’m still young. I have no relationship holding me back. My family are supportive of whatever I choose to do. I can do it if I’m brave enough. And if it all fails, I’m motivated enough to work hard to get back to where I am now. The question is, am I brave enough to take that risk? It’s a question I’m sure many other people ask themselves.

I was recently asked another question, something I had to think about for a long time before answering: Would you rather regret doing something, or regret not doing something?

I think when I’m old and grey, I’d hate to look back on my life and regret all the things I didn’t do.

Who knows where they could have taken me…

ReputationRep:
    Im not really sure if you are actually asking whether to give up everything and go to travelling? But my answer (based on reading what you have written) would be yes.

There is a quote by Benjamin Franklin, I think, that goes like this:

"If you do tomorrow what you did today, you will get tomorrow what you got today"

So if you are feeling stuck and can't see a way out maybe it would be a good idea to start again from scratch as it were and try out a new life. There are plenty of people who have done just that and have written blogs about it if you search.

Finally, as you said - When you are old and grey will you regret not taking the opportunity to really experience new things?

ReputationRep:
    There are so many travel blogs on the net by people who have given up everything to travel, have a read of some of them for a bit of motivation.

Off the top of my head there's one called Twenty Something Travel, and Nomadic Matt is another.

You will always regret not trying this, so why not just go for it?

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I understand you 100%.

I got a job with in a month from my graduation, I worked for a bank for nearly 5 years.

I was really board with work and thanks God, the bank did some restructuring and I got the chances to be made redundant!!!

I got 6,5 months salary, as a redundancy pay and with that money and some savings that I had I travel the world for nearly 18 months.

I will highly recommend doing so. But if you don't have some money saved or money thrown your way like it happen to me with my redundancy, I will suggest saving some money for a year or so before you start travelling.

Then as you travel you can work casually and get money to keep you going. I am currently travelling abroad and at the same time I work part time for a OTA website. Check out my nick name.

I hope that helps.

Thanks
    HotelsFairy

ReputationRep:
    I always get tempted but then I think - instead of having a life where I need to go travelling to escape, why not make a life I don't feel the need to escape from.

At the end of the day, you'd have a great time, but at some point it ends. And when it ends you come back to the same life that you ran away from. True happiness requires a more permanent solution.

I highly recommend visiting milk the pigeon (google it) and having a browse of the site and downloading the ebook. It's really good for lost twenty somethings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was in a similar ish situation to yourself. I'm 22, so a little younger however I have worked part time since I was 13, messed up college as I was working too much and went full time at 18. By 20 I was in management, my wage was ok, my job was ok, i paid my mum cheap rent. At 22, I had money in the bank and a job that bored the hell out of me. Finally one day I just thought... I can't do this forever... So I booked flights and I quit my job. I've been away for 5 months now and it is the best thing I've ever done. I don't know why I put it off so long... I start college in September and the idea of having no money for the first time in years really freaks me out, but I am so glad I quit that job and went.
    No one can decide but yourself, but I can guarantee you won't regret travelling... But will you regret not travelling? This is only one persons view, but I hope it helps As for your apartment... Can you rent it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I always get tempted but then I think - instead of having a life where I need to go travelling to escape, why not make a life I don't feel the need to escape from.

At the end of the day, you'd have a great time, but at some point it ends. And when it ends you come back to the same life that you ran away from. True happiness requires a more permanent solution.

I highly recommend visiting milk the pigeon (google it) and having a browse of the site and downloading the ebook. It's really good for lost twenty somethings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is just opinion, 'true happiness requires a more permanent solution' - travelling doesn't have to be temporary, it becomes part of one's life and enriches it, it's not an escape from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

This is an interesting perspective and a different way of looking at things. I've had a read of the website you recommended as well so thanks for this.

I do disagree though. It can be hard when you're in your 20s. Tbh, even if I had my dream job and my dream woman I'd just need to go travelling, because I love it and long to see the places and would regret it otherwise. There's not enough excitement in the standard 9 to 5 life, I did it for three years before I went to university.

(Original post by alphadogg)
    Who knows where they could have taken me…
    Afternoon OP. My advice would be do it! I've just returned from a year, although I did things a bit differently as I did Study Abroad, so I was at Sydney Uni for the last year, and I did lots of traveling as well. It was the best year of my life, met incredible people, did incredible things. I needed it to be honest. Before I started uni I worked and I just every day longed to travel and I'm really glad I did. I will do more in the future. Forget all that adult stuff, I'm 24 and am happy to not live a proper adult life until late 20s/30. Sell up and go, you'd regret it otherwise. I'd start with Australia and New Zealand, they are phenomenal. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to do traveling both in the summer while at uni and hopefully also after uni for a few months as I haven't really done much

Two school trips to France have fuelled my wish to do further traveling.

I would say go for it if I was in your shoes. As others have mentioned there are many travel blogs. I'd recommend Never Ending Footsteps as it shows what you can do traveling and it's a similar situation to you.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.