The Student Room Group

Further maths for chemistry degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jooooshy

I know you've made your mind up, but here's my two cents'

What do you actually know about organic/inorganic chemistry? I didn't really know the difference until I started studying A-level..

Personally, I would choose FM, since you'll walk onto a chemistry degree with good grades in either selection of M/B/C/P, M/FM/P/C, but you wouldn't necessarily walk onto a chemical engineering degree with the former. Also, it's okay saying that biology overlaps with chemistry, but this overlap is so minimal. You'll cover amino acids in chemistry anyway. The only chemistry-related things I learnt in biology were the structural formulas of carbohydrates. Everything else is damn boring and not relevant to chemistry at all.

I never said I wanted to do chemical engineering? Anyway, from gcse I do really like biology and don't think I'd not choose it. Also, physics is seen as a very important choice for chemistry I believe. I appreciate the overlap isn't significant but I just enjoy it :colondollar:
Original post by Spelly456
I never said I wanted to do chemical engineering? Anyway, from gcse I do really like biology and don't think I'd not choose it. Also, physics is seen as a very important choice for chemistry I believe. I appreciate the overlap isn't significant but I just enjoy it :colondollar:

I know, but I just thought it would be an option you'd want to keep open. Yep, in no way did I mean to get across that you should drop physics! You seem pretty set, so I'll leave you to it! Just make sure you come back in a year or two so I can tell you that I told you so! :tongue:
I am also considering biology/ medicine so I don't think further maths would be vital ( except possibly for chem at oxford) and perhaps may be a problem for medicine. What percentage of people on your course have further maths?

I very large percentage did. Probs like 50%
Reply 23
Original post by JMaydom
I very large percentage did. Probs like 50%

:s-smilie: Sorry to ask all these questions but what other A Levels did they do- m/p/c?
Reply 24
I know, but I just thought it would be an option you'd want to keep open. Yep, in no way did I mean to get across that you should drop physics! You seem pretty set, so I'll leave you to it! Just make sure you come back in a year or two so I can tell you that I told you so! :tongue:

I really want to prove you wrong now :biggrin:. Was the general consensus among students that bio A level was boring? If so, did ANYONE like it?
I really want to prove you wrong now :biggrin:. Was the general consensus among students that bio A level was boring? If so, did ANYONE like it?

AS was boring, A2 was great. This was is my opinion though. Should be starting a chem degree in September with bio, maths and chem (and AS psychology)

Yeah, one girl liked it who was going on to study it. AS is actually okay. A2 is criminal. But if you really like it then do it! If you don't end up liking it, it's probably the most sensible thing to drop when going into A2 anyway.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
AS was boring, A2 was great. This was is my opinion though. Should be starting a chem degree in September with bio, maths and chem (and AS psychology)

Looks like we have completely different opinions! Which spec were you on?
Looks like we have completely different opinions! Which spec were you on?

It appears we do. I was on edexcel, how about yourself?
It appears we do. I was on edexcel, how about yourself?

AQA
Reply 30
Yeah, one girl liked it who was going on to study it. AS is actually okay. A2 is criminal. But if you really like it then do it! If you don't end up liking it, it's probably the most sensible thing to drop when going into A2 anyway.

I really hope the situation isn't the same at my school- Biology is probably the second favourite subject at my school after maths. It better not go from that to a hated subject within the next two months!
AQA

That may be why then. I liked the structure of our spec, but AS hardly consisted of actual biology
I really hope the situation isn't the same at my school- Biology is probably the second favourite subject at my school after maths. It better not go from that to a hated subject within the next two months!

Only time will tell! How are your grades? Have you considered doing 5? Maths and further maths will only feel like one subject anyway, promise :rolleyes:
That may be why then. I liked the structure of our spec, but AS hardly consisted of actual biology

Our AS was mainly human biology/immunology. A2 was mainly ecologies and populations :no:
In later years you may be able to do a module on medicinal chemistry, for which biology will be somewhat useful :smile:
Our AS was mainly human biology/immunology. A2 was mainly ecologies and populations :no:

That explains it. For us it was the other way round although there were bits of ecology at A2 but I liked those topics (global warning, succession, photosynthesis, speciation)
That explains it. For us it was the other way round although there were bits of ecology at A2 but I liked those topics (global warning, succession, photosynthesis, speciation)

We had to learn definitions of habitats etc. We even spent two lessons going outside throwing quadrates around.. It wasn't even for coursework.
We had to learn definitions of habitats etc. We even spent two lessons going outside throwing quadrates around.. It wasn't even for coursework.

:lol: practical techniques are important. Oh yeah, we also had coursework as opposed to ISAs which I preferred
:lol: practical techniques are important.

I agree. But why do I need to practise throwing a quadrate in a field and counting flowers.. Twice?! :confused:
Reply 39
Only time will tell! How are your grades? Have you considered doing 5? Maths and further maths will only feel like one subject anyway, promise :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get 11A* and a Distinction in critical thinking (lol) although english lit and lang may be A's. My problem is that I don't want to stretch my UMS too thinly if I apply to Cambridge or Durham. Also, I did the Level 2 further maths gcse qualification which so I've heard is a lot of C1 and C2. Most people taking it in my school are going for A* with distinction but I feel I got a middle A*. Also, my maths teacher said to a more intelligent pupil that they weren't good enough to do those 5. I feel to excel at further maths I should've breezed through it at gcse. I'm really not sure though.

Quick Reply

Latest