The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Didn't do as well as you hoped? Advice here! 21 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gavss
I did terrible in my GCSEs

My GCSEs were 4A 2B 4C

a in C1 maths

i want to apply to imperial for mech eng but I fell my GCSEs will put me down. My a levels are maths,physics,chemistry,electron ics and economics. I plan in dropping economics at AS and taking further maths at A2, perhaps do all in a year.

Considering I get 4 A at AS, is it worth me applying to imperial?

Hey, don't beat yourself up, those are great GCSEs! It's easy to feel disillusioned, especially on tsr. You didn't fail anything, and you got a few A's, which is good to see! And your A in C1 bodes well for AS maths.

Imperial's requirements for Mech Engineering only mention that you need a B in Eng Language, otherwise it's all about your A-levels (A*A*A or A*AAA).
Reply 21
I found my results out today
And for wasn't pleased
English- d
Maths- d
Science-c
History- d
Drama- a*
Catering-b
Re- e
Citenzship-d
Ict- b

I'm aiming to go sixth form and was wondering would I still be accepted with these grades and I thinking to retake maths as English but not sure if I would be accepted into sixth form with these grades
Reply 22
Physics B
Chem A
Bio B
English B
Bangla A*
Maths A
Puremaths C
Econ B
Accounting C

im an international student from Bangladesh, are my results good enough for getting into good unis? I am really disappointed in my results honestly.
Original post by TT1997
And for wasn't pleased
English- d
Maths- d
Science-c
History- d
Drama- a*
Catering-b
Re- e
Citenzship-d
Ict- b

I'm aiming to go sixth form and was wondering would I still be accepted with these grades and I thinking to retake maths as English but not sure if I would be accepted into sixth form with these grades

Speak to your ideal sixth form. They will probably ask you to retake english and maths as a condition of acceptance. However, as you only have 4 at A*-C, and the benchmark is normally 5 A*-C, this may be dubious.
Reply 24

[INDENT]Hi, I received my GCSEs results today and I don't think I can go to Cambridge now or even study Medicine at other universities. Is there a special consideration for English Second Language like me?
Here they are:
A* in Mathematics
2 Distinction* in Health and Social Care
A in Biology ( sends to remarks)
A in Chemistry ( sends to remarks)
A in Physics
A in FSMQ
A in Art
A in Religious Studies
B in English First Language
B in English Literature
B in Geography
B in As Statistics mei
D in Sociology Short course
D in Core science ( took it in year 9 when I just came to England )
I also don't think I will retake any of them.
Do you think I would get in the top Universities for Medicine?

Hello, these are the grades I got:
Maths: A
Economics: B
Additional Science: B
Core Science: C
English Language: A
English Literature: A
Religious Studies: A
Graphics: B
4 A's, 3 B's and 1 C. Is this enough to go to LSE, With A level results of A* A A ?
Reply 26
Can someone answer please!!! I am very worried!
ok soo I got all the grades needed for woodhouse but i didnt get the grade average i was like 0.4 off but i paid them 150 do I get my dosh back if they dont take me
Original post by Billylstone
4 A's, 3 B's and 1 C. Is this enough to go to LSE, With A level results of A* A A ?

Your GCSEs are great! With good A-levels, you'll be fine for getting into LSE. What are your chosen A-levels?
Hi I am supposed to be enrolling for Nursing in September but only got an E grade in the GCSE maths.I have the access course at level 3 and an open uni course at level 4. I have just also taken a test for level 2 adult Numeracy because I didn't feel confident I would get the GCSE grade. However learn direct said it could take up to 2 months for the result.Im feeling so anxious at the moment because I really want to get into University but the Maths is really hard for me to gain. Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loperdoper
Your GCSEs are great! With good A-levels, you'll be fine for getting into LSE. What are your chosen A-levels?

I hope to take further maths, maths, economics and classics :biggrin:
Hello, are 6A* 3A 1B good enough grades to study medicine at a decent uni - I'm assuming Oxbridge's out of the question, so Imperial, perhaps? Thanks :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Earth1

Hi, I received my GCSEs results today and I don't think I can go to Cambridge now or even study Medicine at other universities. Is there a special consideration for English Second Language like me?
Here they are:
A* in Mathematics
A in Physics
A in FSMQ
A in Art
A in Religious Studies
B in English Literature
B in Geography
B in As Statistics mei

Original post by Earth1
Can someone answer please!!! I am very worried!

Here, quote the mods - hope it helps! :redface:

usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

MathsNerd1
x

Nirgilis
x
Reply 33
Original post by happysmile
Here, quote the mods - hope it helps! :redface:

X sorry to be rude but can you give advices that are relevant to my question about my future please . Thank you:smile:
Original post by Earth1
X sorry to be rude but can you give advices that are relevant to my question about my future please . Thank you:smile:

Having a flick down this page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements .

As you can see, a lot place a lot more emphasis on A-levels than GCSE. So don't worry about it and work hard at A-level! :tongue:
Reply 35
Original post by Nirgilis
Having a flick down this page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements .

As you can see, a lot place a lot more emphasis on A-levels than GCSE. So don't worry about it and work hard at A-level! :tongue:

Thank you:smile:
Reply 36
Original post by gavss
I did terrible in my GCSEs

My GCSEs were 4A 2B 4C

a in C1 maths

i want to apply to imperial for mech eng but I fell my GCSEs will put me down. My a levels are maths,physics,chemistry,electron ics and economics. I plan in dropping economics at AS and taking further maths at A2, perhaps do all in a year.

Considering I get 4 A at AS, is it worth me applying to imperial?

They're not "terrible" at all! Have a look here: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mechanicalengineering/entryrequirements

As long as you have a B in English, you meet their requirements. :smile:

Original post by TT1997
And for wasn't pleased
English- d
Maths- d
Science-c
History- d
Drama- a*
Catering-b
Re- e
Citenzship-d
Ict- b

It depends on the Sixth Form you're thinking about applying for - they have different requirements. It may be a bit tricky though tbh. :sadnod:

Good idea to retake Maths and English though, it's important you try to score at least a C in them. :smile:

Original post by Mayabee
Physics B
Chem A
Bio B
English B
Bangla A*
Maths A
Puremaths C
Econ B
Accounting C

im an international student from Bangladesh, are my results good enough for getting into good unis? I am really disappointed in my results honestly.

They're decent grades! :smile: What course are you thinking about applying for?

Original post by Earth1

[INDENT]Hi, I received my GCSEs results today and I don't think I can go to Cambridge now or even study Medicine at other universities. Is there a special consideration for English Second Language like me?
Here they are:
A* in Mathematics
A in Physics
A in FSMQ
A in Art
A in Religious Studies
B in English Literature
B in Geography
B in As Statistics mei

Firstly, there isn't really any "top" university for Medicine - you'll end up a doctor wherever you do.

Have a look here regarding entry requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

It may be a bit hard to get into Cambridge tbh but other Medical schools are still open to you. Just concentrate on nailing your AS levels, Personal Statement etc. :smile:

EDIT: It looks like Nirgilis replied first! :tongue:

Original post by Billylstone

If you have a look here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howtoapply/lseentryrequirements.aspx

You should be able to find the requirements for the course you're interested in. :smile:

Original post by happysmile
Hello, are 6A* 3A 1B good enough grades to study medicine at a decent uni - I'm assuming Oxbridge's out of the question, so Imperial, perhaps? Thanks :redface:

They're fine for Medicine (you could still consider Cambridge provided you have high UMS, but Oxford may be hard to get into). Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Thursday 21st August 2014 GCSE Results Day - Didn't do as well you hoped?

GCSE Results Day is fast approaching and there will be a mixture of feelings on the day. We hope that all of you achieve the grades that you are hoping for but we do realise that, unfortunately, there will be some who may be slightly disappointed. If you end up in that position, the first thing to realise is that all is not lost. There are still several options available for you. This thread will aim to give you an insight into those options, with the intention of then allowing you to make an informed decision of what to do next.

If your query is not answered in this post or you have any further questions, please feel free to make a post in this thread. To get the attention of the mods looking after these threads, just copy and paste the following into your post:

[noparse]

[/noparse]

If you wish to have a general chat about GCSE Results Day, please visit the GCSE Results Day 2014 Chat thread. When the exam boards release them, grade boundaries will be posted on the Grade Boundaries thread. On results day, if you are considering retaking papers or getting some of your papers remarked, you may wish to have a look at the Retakes and Remarks thread.

Good luck for results day!

I didn't score at least a C grade in English/Maths! What do I do?
Achieving at least a grade C in GCSE English and GCSE Maths is very important. Most degree courses at university and many jobs have a minimum requirement of a C grade in these subjects. If, however, you've not achieved this, don't panic - there are ways to rectify this.

If you are planning on continuing on to Further Education (A-Levels, IB, other lever 3 qualifications etc.) then you should try to contact your desired Sixth Form/College as soon as possible. It may be the case that your Sixth Form/College will allow you to retake these exams alongside studying for your next set of qualifications. Some institutions may also offer additional classes to help you prepare for retaking these GCSEs.

If you do not intend to continue to Further Education or your Sixth Form/College does not offer this, you should speak to your English/Maths teacher to see if they have any advice for you. You may well be allowed to retake these GCSEs at your previous school or at another institution. It is strongly recommended that you have a subject teacher/tutor to help you in preparation for your retake, though.

Another option that may be worth considering is to get a remark. Remarks are discussed in more detail on the GCSE Retake and Remark thread (click the orange link above).

I didn't meet the grade requirements to study at my chosen Sixth Form/College
If you are in this position, the first thing you should do is try to contact your desired Sixth Form/College. It is still possible that they will let you in even if you have not achieved the required grades. If they do, congratulations! If not, read on - there are still plenty of options:

- You could consider retaking the whole year in order to achieve the necessary grades required to study at your desired Sixth Form/College. You will, however, need to contact your Sixth Form/College to make sure that they will accept your retake grades.

- If you feel that your grade on a paper does not reflect how well you think you performed on it, one option for you is to get a remark for that paper. It is very important for you to let your Sixth Form/College know that you're getting a paper remarked though as the result for the remark may come after enrolment day.

- You could search for another Sixth Form or College which has lower entry requirements. You'll need to contact this institution to check to see if they still have places available for you. Your current school's career advisor will be able to provide you with guidance in regards to this.

- You could consider alternative options to Further Education if you feel that this is not for you. There is more information regarding this below.

I missed the grade that I needed in order to continue studying a particular subject
To continue studying a particular subject at a higher level (A-Level, IB etc.) most subject departments ask for at least a grade B in that subject at GCSE. If you didn't meet this requirement, the first thing you need to consider is why you were unable to do so.

If it was due to a lack of understanding of the content or because you didn't have enough passion for the subject, then you may wish to reconsider your options. It's not untrue when people say that A-Levels (or other level 3 qualifications) are quite a step up from GCSE. As a result, it may be in your best interests to reconsider studying that subject, as life could become very hard for you at Sixth Form/College.

If you feel that there were other, outside factors that meant that you were unable to perform as well as you should have, you should try speaking to the department head. You will need try you best to convince them to let you continue with the subject and, unfortunately, there is no guarantee that they will let you. If they are unwilling to take you on, you could consider studying the subjects as a private candidate or at a separate Sixth Form. Bear in mind though that studying as a private candidate will not be easy - you may have to self teach yourself the subject (which is not easy, and could have impact upon your other subjects) and it will be expensive.

I don't think my grades are good enough for Oxbridge/Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary

Oxbridge
Oxford place a much larger emphasis on GCSE grades than Cambridge (where the UMS average at AS plays a greater role). Although there are no specific GCSE requirements for Oxford (or at Cambridge), successful applicants tend to have a string of A* grades at GCSE.

You may wish to post in the following threads to seek advice on applying to Oxford and Cambridge:

"Are my grades good enough for Oxford?"
"Are my grades good enough for Cambridge?"

Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary
A common misconception amongst Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary Medicine applicants is that you need at least 8A*s at GCSE in order to stand a chance in securing a place. It is important to realise that this is not the case for almost all universities offering these courses. If your GCSEs aren't as strong as you think they could be, you can still get into Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary but when the time comes, you will need to apply smartly.

You may wish to have a look at the following links (please note that it is important that you also check with Universities before applying, as some of the information may go out of date when you apply):

Medical School GCSE Requirements
Dentistry Entry Requirements (including GCSE requirements)
Veterinary Medicine Entrance Requirements for 2014

I don't want to go into further education.
After reflecting upon your GCSE grades, it may be the case that you no longer want to go into Further Education. If so, you could:

- Seek to pursue a vocational course instead. See here for more information: http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships#fil=uk

- Go straight into work. If so, have a look at our Careers and Employment forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8

- Take up an apprenticeship. Have a look at our Apprenticeships forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=516

I really wanna do Law in Uni so in my Gcse results I got

RS- A
ART- A
HISTORY - B
ENGLISH LIT - B
BIOLOGY - C
PHYSICS - C
CHEMISTRY - c
ENGLISH LANG - C
MATHS - C
GERMAN - C
GENERAL STUDIES - C

is this ok for law????
Original post by TT1997
And for wasn't pleased
English- d
Maths- d
Science-c
History- d
Drama- a*
Catering-b
Re- e
Citenzship-d
Ict- b

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Reply 39
Original post by Stressedgirl129
I really wanna do Law in Uni so in my Gcse results I got

RS- A
ART- A
HISTORY - B
ENGLISH LIT - B
BIOLOGY - C
PHYSICS - C
CHEMISTRY - c
ENGLISH LANG - C
MATHS - C
GERMAN - C
GENERAL STUDIES - C

is this ok for law????

I'm not 100% sure about law - it'd be best if you created a new thread in the Law forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest