Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I've always been an academic student, never practical but I have always passed exams with minimum grade B. I'm in year eleven and will be picking my A-levels shortly. I would like to know what A-levels are more valuable with top universities like Cambridge and Oxford and their minimum grades.

Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrendanQuirk)
    Hello,
    I've always been an academic student, never practical but I have always passed exams with minimum grade B. I'm in year eleven and will be picking my A-levels shortly. I would like to know what A-levels are more valuable with top universities like Cambridge and Oxford and their minimum grades.

Thanks.
    That will depend on which subject you want to study at university.

Have a look on their websites - they're very clear about where they prefer specific A levels for entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    That will depend on which subject you want to study at university.

Have a look on their websites - they're very clear about where they prefer specific A levels for entry.
    I don't know what I want to study to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you're applying for; if e.g. History, related subjects would be English Lit, ancient or modern languages, Politics, Economics, etc. But it's definitely not restricted to this and as long as you have History if you're applying for that, or e.g. French if you're applying for French, it won't make much difference when applying for unis. Check each university webpage as each will say something slightly different, but generally as long as you have 1 or more relevant subjects for arts and humanities it's fine

for sciences and maths its slightly different-generally you'd be expected to do all science and maths based subjects with maybe one humanities or arts subjects, but there's less flexibility than if it's a humanities or arts subject.

ReputationRep:
    Maths + Sciences will probably open most doors if your unsure

(Though they are probably the hardest set)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I want to study to be honest...
    In that case have a read of http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

It's from the russell group (so Oxford & Cambridge plus a bunch of other research focussed universities).

It gives an idea which A level subject leave your options open as well as the sort of subjects that might be required for different courses (so if you have a rough idea of what you might want to study it should help you pick A levels that will keep your options open).

FWIW don't JUST pick A levels based on the subjects that are sometimes preferred for entry. A low grade in a preferred subject wont get you entry at all so make sure you pick subjects that you enjoy and can do well at for A level.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)

And yet they have the highest # and proportions of people getting top grades. "Hardest" is a relative thing that cannot be applied to A level subjects in general.

I personally found maths and physics the easiest subject - Art A level would have been hardest for me.

ReputationRep:

I was thinking of doing Maths, Chemistry and Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Thats cool.

If your open to courses like engineering, then physics could be something you could ponder about. Likewise Biology could be added, so courses like Biomed / Biochem are open (Though not all unis require bio)

ReputationRep:
    Thats cool.

If your open to courses like engineering, then physics could be something you could ponder about. Likewise Biology could be added, so courses like Biomed / Biochem are open (Though not all unis require bio)
    I'm open to anything, except the labour type things. Don't get me wrong, I can design and use CAD but once it gets to physically making something I'm useless unless I have help from a machine.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's a good mix. Try and pick a fourth subject too though as many universities want an extra AS grade.

Since you're thinking about Oxford and Cambridge maybe take a look at this list. Is what Trinity College Cambridge think are 'Acceptable Subject Combinations' (bear in mind most universities will not care if you do choose a subject that Trinity lists as not suitable)

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Even though you do not know what course you wish to do, do you have any idea what kind of subject area would interest you (as in are you thinking of more a scientific or humanities/social science degree? )

ReputationRep:
    I think when you get your GCSE results (or maybe you know already), it will become obvious what subjects you have a particular aptitude for, then go for those ones at A level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.