The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Ask a current Aeronautics Student!

Scroll to see replies

Hey i got accepted to do Msc in Advanced Aeronautics... The thing is, its not accredited.. Should I be worried?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
-Is it essential for you to study Further Maths? Can you fill it with Chemistry or something similar? My school doesn't do further maths A Level :frown:
-Were you debating between mechanical and aerospace?
-Is it focused on aerodynamics?
-Would you choose another course if you had the chance?

Sorry haven't read the full thread
Reply 42
Original post by Trihawk7
-Is it essential for you to study Further Maths? Can you fill it with Chemistry or something similar? My school doesn't do further maths A Level :frown:

Erm so I have an offer and I didn't do FM but I self taught the AS so maybe you should do that too? ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reddish
Erm so I have an offer and I didn't do FM but I self taught the AS so maybe you should do that too? ;p

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grade did you get and was it hard?
Reply 44
What grade did you get and was it hard?

I don't know yet. But no it wasn't hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rejected_usrname
Hey i got accepted to do Msc in Advanced Aeronautics... The thing is, its not accredited.. Should I be worried?

Sorry, I don't know about the MSc, but the modules you will be taking are 3rd and 4th year modules from the undergraduate course. It would be best to contact the admissions department regarding degree accreditation and prospective employers to gauge how important it is to have said accreditation.

If your school doesn't do FM then its fine, its not compulsory. Maybe state it somewhere in your PS so the admissions dpt. know why you haven't taken it. If you have the opportunity, learn some FP modules in your own time; it will boost your application, help you with the maths admissions exam and help you with your first year a lot :wink: .

I was set on aerospace from the start.

There are aerodynamics modules, but it covers all fields - aerodynamics, structures/ materials, control. There is 1 aerodynamics module in the first year, 1 in the second year and then the rest can be taken optionally in the final 2 years.

I would consider taking computer science, but that's just a personal preference.
Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I'm not sure where else.
I have taken chemistry, physics, maths and further maths at A-level and applied for physics. My offer is A*A*A (they haven't said anything about my fourth A-level). However now I really want to switch to aeronautical engineering. If I get my grades on results day do you think I could call up and see if I can switch courses? Has anyone heard of this sort of thing before? Thank you in advance.
Original post by ViralRiver
Sorry, I don't know about the MSc, but the modules you will be taking are 3rd and 4th year modules from the undergraduate course. It would be best to contact the admissions department regarding degree accreditation and prospective employers to gauge how important it is to have said accreditation.

First off, thanks for the reply. Secondly, I know this is probably a noob question but in your opinion how important is accreditation?

I've already asked others some say its okay and some say its not okay. But the ones who say that its okay most of the time say I should do it anyway since its Imperial. What do you think?
Reply 48
Hey all :wink: was wondering if anyone who studies Aeronautics could tell me how many modules are taught in the first year? Was planning on buying some folders and stuff soon (yay!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
My AS result is as follows:
Maths:A
Physics:A
Geography:B
85% UMS in average

while I will get my A2 further maths qualification next year.
Should I still apply to Imperial?

Thanks!
Original post by iawaityourcall
Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I'm not sure where else.
I have taken chemistry, physics, maths and further maths at A-level and applied for physics. My offer is A*A*A (they haven't said anything about my fourth A-level). However now I really want to switch to aeronautical engineering. If I get my grades on results day do you think I could call up and see if I can switch courses? Has anyone heard of this sort of thing before? Thank you in advance.

Just send both admissions departments an email. It's quite common for people to switch courses, but it all depends on whether or not there is space. However, I wouldn't get your hopes up as aero is horribly oversubscribed.

Original post by rejected_usrname
First off, thanks for the reply. Secondly, I know this is probably a noob question but in your opinion how important is accreditation?

I've already asked others some say its okay and some say its not okay. But the ones who say that its okay most of the time say I should do it anyway since its Imperial. What do you think?

Unfortunately I'm not the best to ask about accreditation for an MSc course. You might be better off either asking admissions or someone who has graduated from the MSc course so they can tell you first hand the affect (if any) of not having accreditation.

Original post by Reddish
Hey all :wink: was wondering if anyone who studies Aeronautics could tell me how many modules are taught in the first year? Was planning on buying some folders and stuff soon (yay!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's 8 modules (if it hasn't changed):

Mathematics
Intro to Aerodynamics & Aircraft Performance
Intro to Thermodynamics
Intro to Structural Analysis
Computing
Engineering Design
Mechanics & Foundation Mechanics
Humanities / Business

I think that's all of them...

Original post by chermaine123
Hi,
My AS result is as follows:
Maths:A
Physics:A
Geography:B
85% UMS in average

while I will get my A2 further maths qualification next year.
Should I still apply to Imperial?

Thanks!

Yes, just make sure you get the Physics and Maths to A* and show somewhere on your application/ PS that you will be taking FMaths.
Do you mean my predict grade should be both A* in physics and maths?
If I get A*AA, should I still apply?
Reply 52
Original post by chermaine123
Do you mean my predict grade should be both A* in physics and maths?
If I get A*AA, should I still apply?

Try to get A*A*A at least because that's their minimum entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for your time ViralRiver!!! =)
Hi, I will be joining aeronautics this October!! :biggrin:

Just wanted to ask what is the most difficult aspect of the course?

And could you tell me a list of the books I would need for the course?
Around what price are they altogether? Thanks in advance:smile:
Original post by echobreeze
Hi, I will be joining aeronautics this October!! :biggrin:

Just wanted to ask what is the most difficult aspect of the course?

And could you tell me a list of the books I would need for the course?
Around what price are they altogether? Thanks in advance:smile:

1st year should be fine, just use the time to get used to the workload and difficulty (it gets a lot harder in 2nd year).

Undoubtedly the most important book for the degree: Fundamentals of Aerodynamics by John D. Anderson. Get it, the library doesn't stock enough tbh. It costs ~40. Other useful books are Engineering Mathematics and Advanced Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud (again 40 each) but these aren't necessary - they help though. There are a couple of good materials books as well, but I can't remember their names, the prof will tell you in your first lecture though, don't worry.

Have fun, and I'll be on the bar at the mingle so come introduce yourself if you want :smile: .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending