Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    We'd appreciate your help please with the following regarding the income my dad should declare.
    Briefly, I am resident in UK with Mum but my Dad worked and was paid abroad until very recently, but as of earlier in 2014 he is now here in UK, currently unemployed but will be working in UK from Sept.

    The form asks for his UK income in 2012-13, which was £0, and he can produce the UK tax forms to confirm this. He had an income abroad, but this was UK tax free. So he could submit his UK tax form to confirm this, but we are not sure it is entirely relevant.

    However to make life more complicated, earlier this year he finished work abroad and returned to UK and is currently unemployed but expects to start work (in UK) in early Sept. Thus in this year he expects to receive about 7/12 of his new annual UK income. The UK income is a lot less (more than 15% reduction) than his previous foreign income.

    We think he should not fill in the finance form but write a letter to advise the above information, including the 2012-13 tax form showing zero income, and request he be assessed on his new 2014 income, as this is what will be relevant going forward. He could advise SFE of his new UK salary and the estimated amount he would earn nett of tax in the current financial year?
    Is this the best way forward? Or what should he do? The 2012-13 income is just not relevant to our current circumstances and we think it would distort the loan/grant I would receive
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    Your dad would still fill in the information we are asking for with his total income from the 2012/13 tax year. We require this even if the money earned was abroad, and would ask for documentation to prove the income. We cannot income assess you without this.

    When we have the requested information from the 12/13 tax year, BOTH your parents can fill in a current year income assessment form, there is space on the form for your mum and dad. Both would estimate their income for the current tax year, and if the total has dropped by 15% from the 12/13 figures we will be able to reassess you based on the estimates. At the end of the tax year we would ask for evidence of the actual earned income. The current year income forms are available here: http://bit.ly/LN6hwH

Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.