Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be doing a year abroad in my 3rd year at Birmingham uni and have narrowed my choices down to the Universities of Virginia, Iowa and Kansas.

Please help me put these in order of preference! How do they rank in terms of:

Academic/rankings
    Social/party scene
    College towns
    Weather
    Etc..

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Out of those i'd go to Virginia.

I don't know anything about the unis or the towns they're in, but Iowa and Kansas, on the whole, are massive holes in the mid-west/middle-of-nowhere. Virginia, on the other hand, is cosmopolitan and more beautiful, unless you're into prairies.

ReputationRep:
    I think Virginia is regarded as the better University out of your other two options. It is also regarded as a 'Public Ivy'. It is also ranked higher than Iowa and Kansas.

It depends though on what course you're doing? It may be worth looking into that if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I was thinking about putting virginia down as my 1st choice too. virginia, iowa, kansas in that order maybe. Virginia is pretty damn hard to get into though :L Corax, I'll be doing kinesiology/human physiology (depending on what the uni calls their exercise science course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brumuni)
    Thanks guys! I was thinking about putting virginia down as my 1st choice too. virginia, iowa, kansas in that order maybe. Virginia is pretty damn hard to get into though :L Corax, I'll be doing kinesiology/human physiology (depending on what the uni calls their exercise science course)
    Sounds interesting! And ah is it? I was thinking of maybe going to Virginia for my year abroad at Brum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corax)
    Sounds interesting! And ah is it? I was thinking of maybe going to Virginia for my year abroad at Brum
    Nice choice corax! What do you study/ what year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brumuni)
    Nice choice corax! What do you study/ what year are you in?
    I'll hopefully be doing Liberal Arts in September if I get the results. There's a year abroad in the third year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.