Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mental health problems and my family dealing with it :( Watch

So I have been experiencing chronic anxiety and panic disorder since around 2011. When it started around time of starting a levels I was very depressed, anxious, worried and my life was really bad. At this time I realised I had something and starting seeing my counsellor. Since then I have come a long way through CBT and other coping strategies, ensruijng that it has less of an impact on me.

In the beginning I spoke to my family about it and they were in denial and thought I was crazy. They thought I was being dramatic and lazy to deal with life and was just too scared. They even said I don't have anything and if I just not thought about it that it will go away. This was 2 years ago and since I have not discussed or involved my family in my mental health.so I basically went through it alone without any support from my family. Mainly because I don't trust them and believe that they will never understand. Even though my mother had experienced depression.

So now the topic is coming up because I'm going university in September and applied for DSA (disability student allowance) to get support. Letters are coming through the post and today my siblings (both older) asked me if I'm disabled? I lied to them saying student finance made a mistake. The other day I also had to lie because I went for a needs assessment and had been lying for over half a year to where I was going because I was getting CBT from my psychologist.

I'm in a really annoying situation because I don't my family to be involved, as they haven't been there for me. They are always trying to make decisions for my future e.g. where to go to uni e.g. stay at home instead of moving out, although I have continued to go against them. They are just annoying and I don't want to discuss things with them because I don't want to be back in the same place 2years ago because it was sooo difficult for me. :confused:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any friends you could talk to about things? It sounds like your family isn't being very helpful or understanding. It can be really therapeutic to be able to offload things sometimes imo. Your counselor probably helps with this, you could try asking to see one at university when you get there. Or I've heard that DSA can pay for a person for you to talk to about things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.