Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling to South America HELP? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am an undergraduate first year student at Brighton University studying Comp Sci. Its July 2014 at the moment but next year in July 2015 I am eager to travel to South America.

I just need some guidance from people who have already been or are planning to go. I am a bit lost at the moment because I don't exactly know how these are planned out, I want to visit Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Venezuela. I'm not saying I can afford to visit all these places but I would like to visit as many as possible and trek to some good places in those countries.

Is there any companies that can help with this? I'm not a good planner, if there isn't what can I do to plan this out properly, some guidance from people who have done this would be great! Also how much do you think I would need to cover an expedition like this? Its my dream to travel, and I want to do it while I'm young so I don't regret it in the future Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I want to do the same so I am gonna revive this thread in the hope that some helpful member contributes

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I´m From Argentina. I can talk you about my country. The center of the city is amazing. Palermo, Puerto Madero, La boca, Caballito, Recoleta, Belgrano. The most important cities are so good for visit. I will give you a list of recommendations.

Palermo: Serrano Square - Botanical garden - Forests of Palermo
    Puerto Madero: Bridge of the women - Ecological Reserve
    La boca: "Caminito", Boca Juniors Stadium
    Nuñez: River Plate stadium
    San Telmo: Dorrego Square.
    Micro-center: Florida Street - Obelisco
    Recoleta: Cemetery of Recoleta - Cultural center.
    Belgrano: Belgrano Square - Chinatown
    Tigre: Museum of Arts - Port of fruits.
    Congreso: Pink house (House of the government)

For travel along the city, the center of Bs. As have a system named "metrobus" (Basically are buses that cross all the center and improve the traffic).

Also, You can visit "iguazu falls/cataratas del iguazu", province of Misiones. Is one of the wonders of the word. I can recommend it and too "Perito moreno glacier" in Catamarca.

I hope help you.

Greetings.

ReputationRep:
    Grab a guidebook (LP or RG). Look at the suggested routes, given the time you have. Your list of countries is almost the entire continent and would take 6 months or so.
    Look online
    Read blogs
    Focus on what the weather will be doing (great trekking in the Cordillera Blanca in July but less favourable in Patagonia, for example)

... put the groundwork in. It'll take a few weeks. Time well spent

THEN come back and ask specific questions.

The answer to your current broad question already exists and has done for a long time. No point reinventing (retyping...) the wheel. Just need to put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at going to South America travelling too. From what I've found out, it's best to do some sort of tour, it can be difficult/expensive to travel alone. Check out Intrepid travel, they have some pretty good tours at reasonable prices, and they are recommended for South America.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been to SA but I've heard the best places to start are

Bolivia
    Peru
    Chile
    Argentina

Remember Venezuela is a dangerous country. So is Columbia. I wouldn't recommend either, particularly not as first destinations. It is unfortunate since Venezuela has some wonderful scenery, but I think your life is more important than seeing the scenery.

http://www.channel4.com/news/venezue...colombia-drugs

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...uela-dangerous

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c3rys)
    I was looking at going to South America travelling too. From what I've found out, it's best to do some sort of tour, it can be difficult/expensive to travel alone. Check out Intrepid travel, they have some pretty good tours at reasonable prices, and they are recommended for South America.
    Apart for specific areas, such as the Inca Trail (where you have to be in a guided group tour by Peruvian law) and Bolivia's Salar de Uyuni (the salt flats), travelling independently is actually much better. It's easy to get around if you know a few basic phrases in Spanish (Portuguese if you're in Brazil). I recently spent 14 months in Ecuador and travelling by bus was a piece of cake. I've been to plenty of other countries in SA as well. There's really no need to go with a tour unless you're really unconfident. I'd say it's much cheaper to travel independently than in a tour, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood)
    I haven't been to SA but I've heard the best places to start are

Bolivia
    Peru
    Chile
    Argentina

Remember Venezuela is a dangerous country. So is Columbia. I wouldn't recommend either, particularly not as first destinations. It is unfortunate since Venezuela has some wonderful scenery, but I think your life is more important than seeing the scenery.
    Ecuador is a very good SA country to start with as well. Relatively small, bus travel is a piece of cake so long as you know a couple of basic Spanish phrases, lots of geographical variety, lots of volcanoes and other mountainous areas to hike, very biodiverse, loads of activities to do and sights to see. Historic colonial towns, whale-watching, surfing, the rainforest, indigenous cultures and markets, hiking in the mountains as I said already, the Galápagos Islands if you can afford it (Ecuador overall is very cheap, but the Galápagos is an exception). I could go on.

Several of my now ex-colleagues in Ecuador had also been to Colombia and they really recommended the place to me. I wouldn't be put off by all the warnings - just be careful, watch out for pickpockets in crowded places and public transport, stay off sidestreets after dark especially if you're on your own, stuff like that. Stuff you should do in any big city really. Colombia is one SA country I haven't been to yet but I have made it a priority for next time. When I next go to SA, I will definitely go there. Cali and Cartagena, for example, sound wonderful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.