Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I want a career in the film/writing industry, should I attend a film school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Many says film schools are a waste of money and some advice from directors/playwrights I know advice me to get a degree on something else other than learning how to make film/write that's more realistic/employable and build up your knowledge of the world.

However, film schools do attract me in one way or another. Undoubtedly the best advantage is by attending a film school I could get my hands-on with professional equipments and the best bit is networking with film industry people that'd actually help me get a job in hollywood or related industries. but still, I'm struggling a bit cuz I know the best film schools are UCLA and USC but my SAT scores are pretty bad so probably won't get a shot in those two. NYU though, is a pretty attractive alternative. I'm studying the IB diploma and getting predicted a 40-42/45 so I'm pretty sure Icould get in NYU film school with a profolio.

But still I want to study journalism/psychology as well cuz they're safer/more employable degrees and just more useful overall. please help me I'm so stuck thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melomelohohoho)
    Many says film schools are a waste of money and some advice from directors/playwrights I know advice me to get a degree on something else other than learning how to make film/write that's more realistic/employable and build up your knowledge of the world.

However, film schools do attract me in one way or another. Undoubtedly the best advantage is by attending a film school I could get my hands-on with professional equipments and the best bit is networking with film industry people that'd actually help me get a job in hollywood or related industries. but still, I'm struggling a bit cuz I know the best film schools are UCLA and USC but my SAT scores are pretty bad so probably won't get a shot in those two. NYU though, is a pretty attractive alternative. I'm studying the IB diploma and getting predicted a 40-42/45 so I'm pretty sure Icould get in NYU film school with a profolio.

But still I want to study journalism/psychology as well cuz they're safer/more employable degrees and just more useful overall. please help me I'm so stuck thanks.

I think a film school is a good idea. Depending on how patient you are maybe you could go to a film school, and then study journalism/psychology at university afterwards? I used to be interested in film, and was going to take film studies and media studies for A-Levels, but decided not to in the end after being told that it's not a necessity to get into uni and my desired career (a director at the time- I now want to be a journalist) Turned out to be true as I'm expecting to study Journalism & Creative Writing at uni in September without a film/media A-Level. If there was a writing or journalism school, I'd probably go there. Some people think they're a waste of money, but then there are people who become successful after going there. One of my ultimate favourite author's went to a great film school and studied screen writing if I'm correct, and became a best-selling author. Like I said, maybe get the degree first, whether it's in film, journalism or psychology. You may end up on another path with a good career that you like, if not then you can always turn to the film school Besides studying for your degree, at uni there are many other ways of gaining connections with people in the industry. So you have so many opportunities regardless which way you go.

ReputationRep:
    Listen to those directors/playwrights. They are right.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.