Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always been enchanted with the US. However my SAT scores do me no good in applying decent college but I got a pretty decent IB (predicted) score.

Psychology HL- 7
    Chinese B HL-7
    Fim HL- 6/7
    ESS SL-7
    English A SL-6
    Maths SL- 6

EE/TOK- 2/3
    Overall: 41-43

IGCSE grades
    Maths/Chemistry/Biology/Religious Studies/Chinese A*
    English Literature/English A/English B/Economics- A
    Geography B

Other Extracurriculars

Editor of School Yearbook
    Editor of School Magazine 'Imaginings'
    Sports Captain o the house
    Fair Committee Member(Spring and Xmas)
    Tennis Team/Football Team/Gaelic football team
    Screenwriting/playwriting/journalism workshops (longterm)
    Piano Grade 5 (merit)

That's about it but I have a quite strong portfolio on writing/filmmaking, i.e. got published on Thought catalog here http://thoughtcatalog.com/melody-ho/...ill-teach-you/
    just an example. I've always wanna become a filmmaker/screenwriter/novel writer but I kinda wanna have an employable degree in psychology or journalism, psychology preferably. Do you think I have a decent chance in getting into Cambridge/NYU/UCL? Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Your IB predictions are fine for Cambridge/UCL. Can't comment on States, as not sure how grading works there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melomelohohoho)
    I've always been enchanted with the US. However my SAT scores do me no good in applying decent college but I got a pretty decent IB (predicted) score.

Psychology HL- 7
    Chinese B HL-7
    Fim HL- 6/7
    ESS SL-7
    English A SL-6
    Maths SL- 6

EE/TOK- 2/3
    Overall: 41-43

IGCSE grades
    Maths/Chemistry/Biology/Religious Studies/Chinese A*
    English Literature/English A/English B/Economics- A
    Geography B

Other Extracurriculars

Editor of School Yearbook
    Editor of School Magazine 'Imaginings'
    Sports Captain o the house
    Fair Committee Member(Spring and Xmas)
    Tennis Team/Football Team/Gaelic football team
    Screenwriting/playwriting/journalism workshops (longterm)
    Piano Grade 5 (merit)

That's about it but I have a quite strong portfolio on writing/filmmaking, i.e. got published on Thought catalog here http://thoughtcatalog.com/melody-ho/...ill-teach-you/
    just an example. I've always wanna become a filmmaker/screenwriter/novel writer but I kinda wanna have an employable degree in psychology or journalism, psychology preferably. Do you think I have a decent chance in getting into Cambridge/NYU/UCL? Thanks x
    Cambridge really don't care about extra-curriculars much. If you've got the minimum grades its always worth applying- the interview counts for quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susanalbumparty)
    Cambridge really don't care about extra-curriculars much. If you've got the minimum grades its always worth applying- the interview counts for quite a lot.
    Yeah? So I'd lose my place to anyone who score higher than me right? As for the interview do you know if they ask really academic-based questions orrr with a mix of more personal questions about your passsions and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah? So I'd lose my place to anyone who score higher than me right? As for the interview do you know if they ask really academic-based questions orrr with a mix of more personal questions about your passsions and stuff?
    Not really, they judge your application quite holistically. Obviously every person there will have different priorities & interviewing styles, but they generally don't care about your passions and extra-curriculars unless they are related to your subject or they are very impressive (e.g. national level sport), and they might suspect that your grades could be better if you weren't doing so much extra-curruculars.

Generally its academic questions. Interviewers tend to start a conversation by giving you some material, such a study to read, or a picture.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    No, as has been said above, the application process is relatively holistic. Lots of things are taken into account such as your IGCSE results and of course your interview performance. But as has also been mentioned, unless your extra-curricular activities are directly related to what you're planning to study.

A problem which I don't think you've thought about is that Cambridge don't offer a degree in Journalism and they don't offer a pure Psychology degree either. The closest they have is Psychological and Behavioral Sciences. For this, Higher level Biology and Higher level Mathematics are highly desirable, neither of which you have, which will put you at a significant disadvantage I'd imagine. Also, a lot of Cambridge colleges have additional tests and ask for essay submissions.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.