Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...I withdraw my application to study at the University of Nottingham? Due to reasons which are my own, I'm thinking about taking another gap year before heading off to university.

Having already received an unconditional offer, I applied for the accommodation at Broadgate park, and after getting the room I wanted agreed to the terms and conditions and accepted the room given to me, I am however debating whether to attend University this year or to attend next year. I emailed the Broadgate accommodation office (not telling them that I may withdraw my application to Nottingham) asking how I could cancel my contract with their response being that I must find someone to replace me who would be willing to take up the contract. My question is if I withdraw from the University would I still be liable for the accommodation fees?

If I hadn't already received my grades, missed the offer for the subject, and so didn't get into Nottingham, I don't see how I could be liable for the accommodation fees, so I assume it would be a similar thing if I withdrew from the course before even registering on it. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, especially from people who have been in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    wait, so are you taking a gap year or not ?
    if yes then NO, as you haven't given them any bank account details, so they cant charge you.

also they can allocate your room to somebody else in the clearing, that shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soothsayer)
    ...I withdraw my application to study at the University of Nottingham? Due to reasons which are my own, I'm thinking about taking another gap year before heading off to university.

Having already received an unconditional offer, I applied for the accommodation at Broadgate park, and after getting the room I wanted agreed to the terms and conditions and accepted the room given to me, I am however debating whether to attend University this year or to attend next year. I emailed the Broadgate accommodation office (not telling them that I may withdraw my application to Nottingham) asking how I could cancel my contract with their response being that I must find someone to replace me who would be willing to take up the contract. My question is if I withdraw from the University would I still be liable for the accommodation fees?

If I hadn't already received my grades, missed the offer for the subject, and so didn't get into Nottingham, I don't see how I could be liable for the accommodation fees, so I assume it would be a similar thing if I withdrew from the course before even registering on it. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, especially from people who have been in a similar situation.
    I have the same problem, I decided not to come to Nottingham this september, I informed them and they haven't replied since! I really don't know what I should do. What happened with your situation??

ReputationRep:
    Are they basically saying that you need to informally find someone to take up your accommodation contract? Because I originally wanted broadgate but didn't get it! X

ReputationRep:
    From experience, BGP offer far-from-great customer service. Depends on the contract you signed, but I suspect BGP will try and make you pay for the full year of accommodation unless you can find someone else to take your room. You may be able to dispute it but I don't doubt they will try to milk as much money from you as they can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.