Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memomemootoo)
    I did a research project for my BSc dissertation in anthropology and my supervisor has suggested trying to publish it. He's sent me some guidelines about how to rework everything into a paper format, but other than that I have no idea how the publication process works and don't want to ask him stupid questions.
    Do you know which journal he's aiming for? Most journals these days will have authors' guidelines available online. That might help.

Am I right to assume that the supervisor will be included as a co-author?
    Not automatically - see below.

is it okay to write the paper as "we did this" bla bla...
    No, academic writing is always in the form of "The researcher(s) did this. The convention is to avoid use terms such as of 'I', 'he', 'she' or 'we'. Or use the passive to avoid that issue altogether - "This was done" - because the authors will be assumed to have done what is being written up, so that's implied and you don't need to specify.

From what I've read online it's viewed as common courtesy, but it still feels kinda awkward to attach a reputable academic's name to some crappy undergrad research (though obviously I'd be thrilled to have both our names on it).
    What are your thoughts?
    This is something that you need to agree with your supervisor up-front. They may be happy with a thanks in the Acknowledgements or they may expect co-authorship. You won't know until you ask. He may want to wait until he sees the first draft before he decides whether he wants his name on it. There are no real rules and the perception of what is courteous can differ between individual academics.

I published my undergrad research but beyond a recommendation from both the first (my supervisor) and second markers that it should be published, I had no input from academic staff. I found the appropriate journal and wrote it up in summary according to their guidelines. I thanked my supervisor in the Acknowledgements. Must admit that it never occurred to me to ask about co-authorship, but as he's now supervising my MPhil it doesn't appear to have been an issue! With hindsight I should have asked, despite him having nothing to do with the journal paper preparation. Other academics may not have looked on it as kindly.

ReputationRep:
    Ask your supervisor, they will expect you to ask stupid questions because its unreasonable to expect an undergraduate to know anything about submitting to a journal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Do you know which journal he's aiming for? Most journals these days will have authors' guidelines available online. That might help.

Not automatically - see below.

No, academic writing is always in the form of "The researcher(s) did this. The convention is to avoid use terms such as of 'I', 'he', 'she' or 'we'. Or use the passive to avoid that issue altogether - "This was done" - because the authors will be assumed to have done what is being written up, so that's implied and you don't need to specify.

This is something that you need to agree with your supervisor up-front. They may be happy with a thanks in the Acknowledgements or they may expect co-authorship. You won't know until you ask. He may want to wait until he sees the first draft before he decides whether he wants his name on it. There are no real rules and the perception of what is courteous can differ between individual academics.

I published my undergrad research but beyond a recommendation from both the first (my supervisor) and second markers that it should be published, I had no input from academic staff. I found the appropriate journal and wrote it up in summary according to their guidelines. I thanked my supervisor in the Acknowledgements. Must admit that it never occurred to me to ask about co-authorship, but as he's now supervising my MPhil it doesn't appear to have been an issue! With hindsight I should have asked, despite him having nothing to do with the journal paper preparation. Other academics may not have looked on it as kindly.
    Thankyou! That's very helpful.
    The supervisor suggested an open access multidisciplinary journal, where he happens to be a section editor.
    I also thought that “we” and “I” might be inappropriate, but almost everything I read in that journal has “we” and “our”... and some of our professors actually recommend that we avoid passives. Perhaps it's a particular disciplinary thing, but I think I'll try to write it in passive for now and see what he says.

(Original post by poohat)
    Ask your supervisor, they will expect you to ask stupid questions because its unreasonable to expect an undergraduate to know anything about submitting to a journal.
    Thanks I will ask him

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.