Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Have you or do you have a part-time job while at uni? Does it distract you from your studies or give you the money to enjoy all of the fruits of uni life?

I started working in February (in my second year) and enjoyed it, weirdly my grades went up, but I was a few marks off a first.

Now as my maintenance grant has gone up (parents splitting up, hooray! ) for the final year, and my rent has gone down (double hooray!), I'm wondering whether to continue with work.

I was working in my campus library shelving and, while I found the job a little repetitive, having a slightly physical job was nice alongside the sedentary nature of studying.

What do you think about student jobs? In what circumstances should you get one? Is it wrong to waste your degree working?

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a paid job. I think it's a really good idea for students to work, as long as it doesn't interfere with your studies.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends. If your degree is particularly time-intensive then a job may not be a good idea. However, for more self-directed degrees a job may (apart from the obvious benefit of an income) give you the structure you need to approach your studies in a more disciplined way.

It may be counterintuitive, but taking on commitments outside your university studies can boost your productivity during study time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to get a job when I go to university so I can go on holiday in the summer when we're not there.

ReputationRep:
    I never had one in first year but looking back It would of probably have been the best time to have one considering my grades didn't count in first year and I only needed 40% to pass which should have been doable even with a part time job on the side..

Now I'm going into second year though I think I'll wait til summer because this is were things really do start counting towards my final degree classification and i want to devote my entire time to it with no job distractions, even if it is part time menial work.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with TuboCretin. I've realised through friends and open days that some degrees have more lab work or experiments or more work in general.

I would get a part time job as it would advance my cv and if the job was related with my degree then I'd be able to understand how the subjects I've learned are related to the world of work. It would also allow me to acquire new skills. And help with funding at uni!!

I'd also make sure that the hours I work would not interfere with my study time and time spent at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    Have you or do you have a part-time job while at uni? Does it distract you from your studies or give you the money to enjoy all of the fruits of uni life?

I started working in February (in my second year) and enjoyed it, weirdly my grades went up, but I was a few marks off a first.

Now as my maintenance grant has gone up (parents splitting up, hooray! ) for the final year, and my rent has gone down (double hooray!), I'm wondering whether to continue with work.

I was working in my campus library shelving and, while I found the job a little repetitive, having a slightly physical job was nice alongside the sedentary nature of studying.

What do you think about student jobs? In what circumstances should you get one? Is it wrong to waste your degree working?
    my job was a big distraction from my uni. made me almost fail.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    I'm going to get a job when I go to university so I can go on holiday in the summer when we're not there.
    Have you considered what job you want to get? I always think the best jobs are the more casual ones on campus which I think are easy to come by and ensures you stay part of the university experience...
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    my job was a big distraction from my uni. made me almost fail.
    Where did you work, out of interest? I do believe it depends on the type of job, and how far removed it is from the uni experience, that can isolate you from studying!

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely keep working...why would you give up money?
    You could always save it. My friend saved enough money up during his 4 years at uni to buy a house when he graduated.

ReputationRep:
    Best thing about working with the uni is the flexibility in the hours you can get to be around your timetable as they'll be accommodating in that respect!
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    When I started uni I worked a couple of shifts in H&M, I simply transferred between the Brighton and Birmingham store during trimesters and holidays which was pretty awesome! I liked working in Brum because I met real brummies who took me out of my student bubble

At the end of second year I started working in the student union bar which I absolutely loved and if I'm honest I wish I'd done that earlier because the pay was great, an amazing team of people who knew how to party - it was like being part of a big family and I made some great friends.

I did a history degree so my contact time was considerable in first year but dwindled across 2nd and 3rd.... I appreciate that sometimes this is a deciding factor in terms of whether to work when studying.

I felt like it added so much to my university experience though and I met some lovely people who I had a mountain of fun with.... can't imagine uni without work!

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered what job you want to get? I always think the best jobs are the more casual ones on campus which I think are easy to come by and ensures you stay part of the university experience...
    I don't really know but, a job on campus seems a good idea because they give you a 0 hour contract so you can work around your course which is great.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished first year of uni, and I had a job in the second semester but not first - not having a job just about drove me crazy! I usually only worked about 18 hours a week (over the weekend) but it was something else to do & another way to meet people. I fully intend to get a job when I go back to uni in september, hoping for a job that relates to my degree which will help me with getting a good placement in third year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peedie pixie)
    I've just finished first year of uni, and I had a job in the second semester but not first - not having a job just about drove me crazy! I usually only worked about 18 hours a week (over the weekend) but it was something else to do & another way to meet people. I fully intend to get a job when I go back to uni in september, hoping for a job that relates to my degree which will help me with getting a good placement in third year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, nice - thanks for sharing your experience! What degree did you do? I'm interested to know 'cos so many on this thread have said the kind of degree you do influences students' choice to work...

ReputationRep:
    Where did you work, out of interest? I do believe it depends on the type of job, and how far removed it is from the uni experience, that can isolate you from studying!
    it was a teaching job. I had to write lots of lesson plans. it was a bit too much to juggle while doin uni work.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, nice - thanks for sharing your experience! What degree did you do? I'm interested to know 'cos so many on this thread have said the kind of degree you do influences students' choice to work...
    I'm doing International Tourism Management. Last year I only had like 13 hours of contact time, and i would assume that next year will be roughly the same (though obviously I'm meant to be researching lots in the time off :rolleyes:) so it's worthwhile gaining experience (and money!).

ReputationRep:
    I would like to work when I go to university, but not too much - I'd say a maximum of 16 hours (which equates to about 2 shifts roughly I think?) and less if possible, 8-10 being ideal. I'm studying History, with 6.5 contact hours a week for my course, so I would have more time do do it, but I feel if I open myself for doing more than that set amount, I'd start infringing on social life + studies, particularly if I picked loads of shifts at the start of the year and then realised I needed that time to study for exams. But then if I don't work I'm going to have to sacrifice part of my social life as I won't be able to afford it! It's just getting the balance right (though I'm not arsed about earning that much, just enough to keep me happy generally)

My concern is that I don't know if possible employers would be too happy with that (or if employers would want me at all, but that's a different matter)

ReputationRep:
    I think all students should have a part time job. I see no reason for students not to have a part time job.

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on your degree and your limits as an individual.
    If I'd gotten a job I probably would have gone insane AND failed my first year because I had major issues sleeping and was barely making it lectures and the ones I did I hadn't slept and I needed whatever time I was able to function normally to catch up. Another girl I knew in my halls had a job 3 days a week usually working 6-9am and sometimes evenings and she didn't fine but she was a morning person and didn't find it hard to sleep and she didn't have a very intensive course either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.