B690 - Broadcasting (Sporting Events) Bill 2014 (Second Reading) Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Broadcasting (Sporting Events) Bill 2014 (Second Reading), TSR Government

Broadcasting (Sporting Events) Bill 2014

An Act providing a wide variety of sporting events free-to-air.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Definitions
    (1) “Free-To-Air Channel” refers to any channel, including interactive channels, available on digital terrestrial television without an additional subscription.
    (2) "Home Nation" refers to any of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

2: Classification of Sporting Events
    (1) Sporting events are classified into four categories:
    a. Category 1
    b. Category 1A
    c. Category 2
    d. Category 3
    (2) Events may only be moved between categories by an amendment to this Act.

2: Broadcasting of Sporting Events
    (1) Category 1 events must be broadcast live and in full on a free-to-air channel.
    a. Live action in a Category 1 event must not be interrupted by advertisements.
    (2) Category 1A events must be broadcast in full on a free-to-air channel.
    a. Category 1A events need not be broadcast live.
    b. Where a Category 1A event is not broadcast live, a full replay must be shown no later than 24 hours after the conclusion of the event.
    c. When a Category 1A event takes place entirely between 9am and 10pm, the replay must be shown entirely between 9am and 10pm.
    (3) Highlights of Category 2 events must be shown on a free-to-air channel no later than 48 hours after the conclusion of the event.
    a. When a Category 2 event takes place entirely between 9am and 10pm, the highlights must be shown entirely between 9am and 10pm.
    b. The duration of the action in the highlights must be no less than 10% of the duration of the action in the live event.
    (4) Category 3 events need not be shown in any form on a free-to-air channel.
    (5) Where no free-to-air broadcaster wishes to bid for a Category 1, 1A or 2 sporting event, the provisions of this Act may be satisfied via a free online stream.

3: Category 1 Events
    (1) The list of Category 1 events is as follows:
    a. Every international association football match involving the senior national teams of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (in the represented nation only).
    b. Every international rugby union match involving the senior national teams of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland (including the British and Irish Lions) (in the represented nation only).
    c. Every international rugby league match involving the senior national team of England (in England only).
    d. Every international cricket match involving the senior national team of England and Wales (in England and Wales only).
    e. The FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championships.
    f. The Summer and Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.
    g. The Commonwealth Games.
    h. The semi-finals and final of the Wimbledon Championships.
    i. The FA Cup final.
    j. The Scottish Cup final (in Scotland only).
    k. The rugby league Challenge Cup final (in England only).
    l. The rugby union English Premiership final
    (in England plus any other Home Nation participating in that season's competition).
    m. The rugby union Pro 12 final (in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland only).
    n. The Rugby World Cup final.
    o. The Ryder Cup
    p. The Open Championship
    q. The British Grand Prix
    r. The British Motorcycle Grand Prix
    s. The All-Ireland Football and Hurling Championship finals (in Northern Ireland only).

4: Category 1A Events
    (1) The list of Category 1A events is as follows:
    a. Every international association football match involving the senior national teams of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (in the nation(s) where it is not included in Category 1).
    b. Every international rugby union match involving the senior national teams of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland (in the nation(s) where it is not included in Category 1).
    c. Every international rugby league match involving the senior national team of England (in the nation(s) where it is not included in Category 1).
    d. Every international cricket match involving the senior national team of England and Wales (in the nation(s) where it is not included in Category 1).
    e. All matches in the Wimbledon Championships not included in Category 1.
    f. All matches in the Rugby World Cup not included in Category 1.
    g. All matches in the Rugby League World Cup not included in Category 1.
    h. All matches in the Cricket World Cup not included in Category 1.
    i. The Football League Cup final (in England and Wales only).
    j. The rugby league Super League final (in England plus any other Home Nation participating in that season's competition).

5. Category 2 Events
    (1) The list of Category 2 events is as follows:
    a. Every game in the English Premier League.
    b. Every game in the rugby union English Premiership (in England only).
    c. Every game in the rugby union Pro 12 (in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland only).
    d. Every game in the rugby league Super League (in England only).
    e. The final of the Australian Open, French Open and US Open.

6: Category 3 Events
    (a) All events not included in Categories 1, 1A and 2 are included in Category 3.

7: Commencement, Short Title and Extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Broadcasting Act 2014.
    (2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
    (3) Shall come into force immediately.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Changes made:

• Every game in the World Cup and Euros is protected (as is the status quo).
    • The duration of highlights is reduced to 10% of the action time (9 min for a football match, 8 min for a rugby match etc.)
    • The Super League and Aviva Premiership finals are also protected in any other Home Nation that is participating in the league that season (in practice this is in case the Crusaders return to Super League or the Welsh regions decide to join the Aviva Prem).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why this is necessary.

If someone from the government would like to explain, it could well be an aye from me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I'm not sure why this is necessary.

If someone from the government would like to explain, it could well be an aye from me.
    It's mostly putting into concrete legislation what is already required by Ofcom. A few things are added, and provision is made for free replays and highlights.

Basically it makes sure sporting events that are deemed to be in the national interest (and I intend this bill to be amended should views differ on these) are show for free.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    It's mostly putting into concrete legislation what is already required by Ofcom. A few things are added, and provision is made for free replays and highlights.

Basically it makes sure sporting events that are deemed to be in the national interest (and I intend this bill to be amended should views differ on these) are show for free.
    Even if that were true, would there actually be a point? If Ofcom already does something, then we don't have a problem, surely? I can understand that you'd want to codify something, but there are a lot of things that aren't codified in this country and personally I don't think it's a problem. We don't need to start codifying stuff for the sake of it because that's just bloated governance.

Anyway, I must disagree with what you've said because there are plenty of thigns on here which are not already enforced by Ofcom. The rugby is an example.

Honestly, this bill is basically just a list of what sports you guys like to watch isn't it? And don't like having to pay for? It's the closest thing to "special interests" that an e-parliament could have

Anyway, I'm no sport enthusiast by any means but I'll watch quite a lot of it. Regardless, it's already placed on this enormous pedestal as though it actually matters more than other things that lack the same special protections, and I don't think it deserves an even larger pedestal than it already has. If you guys want to watch your favourite sports then there's always satellite or cable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    Even if that were true, would there actually be a point? If Ofcom already does something, then we don't have a problem, surely? I can understand that you'd want to codify something, but there are a lot of things that aren't codified in this country and personally I don't think it's a problem. We don't need to start codifying stuff for the sake of it because that's just bloated governance.

Anyway, I must disagree with what you've said because there are plenty of thigns on here which are not already enforced by Ofcom. The rugby is an example.

Honestly, this bill is basically just a list of what sports you guys like to watch isn't it? And don't like having to pay for? It's the closest thing to "special interests" that an e-parliament could have

Anyway, I'm no sport enthusiast by any means but I'll watch quite a lot of it. Regardless, it's already placed on this enormous pedestal as though it actually matters more than other things that lack the same special protections, and I don't think it deserves an even larger pedestal than it already has. If you guys want to watch your favourite sports then there's always satellite or cable.
    What other TV programs besides sports give nations an opportunity to support their country?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    What other TV programs besides sports give nations an opportunity to support their country?
    I'm not sure if that's a relevant point though because this bill does more than cover such events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    I'm not sure if that's a relevant point though because this bill does more than cover such events.
    Ah, so you think team sports should be covered but not individual?

And to some degree a national of a country winning a competition does make you support your country.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

Still can't agree to this, let OFCOM deal with it
      • Community Assistant
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      This is in cessation.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      This has been withdrawn.
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.