Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    B697 - Temperatures at Work Bill 2014, TSR UKIP

Temperatures at Work 2014

An Act to set maximum temperatures for factories and offices.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 | Maximum Temperature
    (1) 28 degrees for office work
    (2) 26 degrees for manual labour

2 | Inclusions

(1) All factories are included - regardless of size
    (2) All warehouses are included - regardless of size
    (3) All offices are included

3| Cooling

(1) Cooling is required to ensure that this maximum temperature is not exceeded.

4| Consequences for exceeding maximum temperature

(1) Employees can refuse to work under these conditions.
    (2) If the company are found to breaking this law then they will be fined £2000 per person working in the building where the temperature is above the maximum limit.

5| Commencement, Short Title, and Extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the Temperature in Factories Bill 2014 Bill 2014.
    (2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
    (3) Shall come into force January 1st 2015.

ReputationRep:
    The fact I'm sweltering beneath unbearable heat may it may not have affected my decision, but aye.

(Though shouldn't the limit for manual labour be lower?)

ReputationRep:
    First those are extremely arbitrary numbers. They need to be cross referenced with relative humidity factors to get an idea of comfortable temperatures. I say this as a building surveyor working in industry.

You would also need to think about what happens to those many many companies who can't afford expensive cooling systems (I'm going to assume you don't realise that an air conditioning system for a factory can cost in excess of half a million in up front costs plus ongoing maintenance costs on top of that). What happens when it breaks down? Can employees stay off work until it's fixed?

Last I'd say if you were serious about this you'd have to give much longer notice than January 2015 as designing and installing a system like this takes half a year at least (not to mention that the sudden demand on suppliers and contractors would seriously overload them). You'd have to say at least mid 2016.

Nay from me, ridiculous idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but what about schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Aye, but what about schools?
    I am guessing that It is covered in the work's sections. After all, are teachers not at work at schools?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    I am guessing that It is covered in the work's sections. After all, are teachers not at work at schools?
    Yes, so not in factories, offices or warehouses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Yes, so not in factories, offices or warehouses.
    Do you need a PA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    The fact I'm sweltering beneath unbearable heat may it may not have affected my decision, but aye.

(Though shouldn't the limit for manual labour be lower?)
    HI

ReputationRep:
    Nay, government should not legislate on this sort of thing. A sensible company however already does this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Having spent all day in a stuffy, humid office I fully support this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    The fact I'm sweltering beneath unbearable heat may it may not have affected my decision, but aye.(Though shouldn't the limit for manual labour be lower?)
    The temperatures are subject to change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    First those are extremely arbitrary numbers. They need to be cross referenced with relative humidity factors to get an idea of comfortable temperatures. I say this as a building surveyor working in industry. You would also need to think about what happens to those many many companies who can't afford expensive cooling systems (I'm going to assume you don't realise that an air conditioning system for a factory can cost in excess of half a million in up front costs plus ongoing maintenance costs on top of that). What happens when it breaks down? Can employees stay off work until it's fixed?Last I'd say if you were serious about this you'd have to give much longer notice than January 2015 as designing and installing a system like this takes half a year at least (not to mention that the sudden demand on suppliers and contractors would seriously overload them). You'd have to say at least mid 2016. Nay from me, ridiculous idea. Posted from TSR Mobile
    Notes taken. I'll look into it.

ReputationRep:
    Shops?

ReputationRep:
    26 degrees- that's below freezing isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Also, a note to any greens out there, as well as this being way too authoritarian, think of how this would require more energy, positive feedback loop anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Also, a note to any greens out there, as well as this being way too authoritarian, think of how this would require more energy, positive feedback loop anyone?
    Or this could give a big boost for green energy being used instead of fossil fuels.It would improve the work life of machines in factories and warehouses so this would reduce the amount of energy used in creating and using new devices, there would be less waste.Stop trying to derail this bill with ludicrous responses. You are clearly still bitter about the whole election thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Although I assume is was meant to be sarcastic, it's a good point – you need to include proper units.

In any case, no to the Bill for reasons already outlined above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    Although I assume is was meant to be sarcastic, it's a good point – you need to include proper units.In any case, no to the Bill for reasons already outlined above.
    They aren't really reasons. Just petty words due to tensions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)

Making people work in extreme heat is authoritarian.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.