Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We've been friends for years. We used to do things constantly, but now it seems like we do absolutely nothing. If we do it's always me arranging or asking about it. She reads my texts and doesn't reply, sometimes for days and often when I send another text. She'll always apologise and have an excuse, and then the routine repeats itself.

But when we do meet-up, always with me asking or arranging, she's like a completely different person. She acts like she wants me there. She'll actually invite me to events and different things, though normally I have to bring them up to actually go with her (not sure if this is still the case because none of the recent events have come up yet, though I'm certain it will be.) It's unbelievable how many things she's invited me to, yet I know I'll have to ask about them to actually go.

She'll also be really nice. When I was feeling down she said I'm welcome at her house whenever, also saying that her parents said the same, yet I know if I texted her about it I probably wouldn't get a response. If I ask what she's doing and she's free, then I will have to suggest doing something, otherwise nothing will happen, and she hardly ever texts me first.

She has a boyfriend now, which I think has something to do with it. Whenever we do go out it'll be with him. I also know that she goes out with his friends constantly. She'll see them most of the week while only seeing me every two weeks, if I'm lucky, and if I text her first. I also feel like she makes more of an effort with them =/

She's mentioned seeing her other friend, who I don't know that well, so I'm not sure if her other friend goes through the same process as me.

I'm just really down about this because it feels like she doesn't even want to be my friend anymore, yet every time I see her in person I take back this thought. It's seriously like she's two different people.

Tl;dr - it feels like my friend is two people: in person she acts nice and invites me out, but I always have to ask about/arrange plans, as she ignores my texts and rarely ever texts first. Perhaps her boyfriend has something to do with this.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    The only advice I can give you is to talk to her about it and be honest.

With her, it's the classic case of her words not matching her actions. She can say all the nicest things, but they're meaningless without the appropriate action.

Also, it seems that you're reliant on her. Go out with other friends, and stop contacting her for a while.

(Original post by KadeK)
    The only advice I can give you is to talk to her about it and be honest.

With her, it's the classic case of her words not matching her actions. She can say all the nicest things, but they're meaningless without the appropriate action.

Also, it seems that you're reliant on her. Go out with other friends, and stop contacting her for a while.
    I honestly do try and talk to her about it, and she always acts nice and says how bad she is at replying with everyone. But I don't know if this is really the case.

I am reliant on her because she's one of my best friends, or so I thought. I have a few other friends, but they don't really go out or do anything. So if I didn't contact her then I'd probably hardly go out, and I get even more down when I see how everyone else is having such great summers while I'm stuck in the house. I guess you're right, though. I don't want to come across as being desperate

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.