Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The SAT II and ACT Tests & US Applications Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like a recommendation. I want to study History at an American or Canadian College if not a British University and so naturally, I am sitting the SAT/ACT Exams. I am studying History, English Literature, Biology and Philosophy at AS Level.

I was thinking, what SAT II's should I sit? I may try World History and Biology because I really didn't like the look of the Literature papers. However, I have never studied "world history" as such. So this is going to be tricky however, if I want to do History, it'd be a good idea to show them what I can do in History, right?

Also, as I am a UK student, some tests aren't available on some dates. When do you advise sitting the papers? After I have finished AS History and Biology or before? Baring in mind that I do NOT want to be burdened with these in my exam term for my AS Levels which is around June time.

Furthermore, when these tests are completed what happens in terms of sending off results and receiving results and such? Finally, when should you begin the application process to these universities for normal and early entry?

I'm considering Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, UCLA, Amherst and Chicago and possibly Columbia or New York university. For Canada, just McGill and Toronto.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    I would like a recommendation. I want to study History at an American or Canadian College if not a British University and so naturally, I am sitting the SAT/ACT Exams. I am studying History, English Literature, Biology and Philosophy at AS Level.

I was thinking, what SAT II's should I sit? I may try World History and Biology because I really didn't like the look of the Literature papers. However, I have never studied "world history" as such. So this is going to be tricky however, if I want to do History, it'd be a good idea to show them what I can do in History, right?

Also, as I am a UK student, some tests aren't available on some dates. When do you advise sitting the papers? After I have finished AS History and Biology or before? Baring in mind that I do NOT want to be burdened with these in my exam term for my AS Levels which is around June time.

Furthermore, when these tests are completed what happens in terms of sending off results and receiving results and such? Finally, when should you begin the application process to these universities for normal and early entry?

I'm considering Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, UCLA, Amherst and Chicago and possibly Columbia or New York university. For Canada, just McGill and Toronto.

Thanks!
    Before applying get your SAT/ACT score back first. This is the MOST important factor of all. if you score 2250+ or 33, then all the Unis you have listed would CONSIDER you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
    Before applying get your SAT/ACT score back first. This is the MOST important factor of all. if you score 2250+ or 33, then all the Unis you have listed would CONSIDER you.
    Thanks. Do you have any advise for the other questions?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Do you have any advise for the other questions?
    What's your module for history A level?

ReputationRep:
    Test dates: http://sat.collegeboard.org/register...national-dates

I recommend you do them between the Sept-October time frame as you should have studies the SAT2 test by then. Start at August, 3-5 months should be enough for sat2s.

As for SATs/ACT, do them around Nov-dec Are you going for early decision programs?

The dates above I assume are regular decisions.

For early its: November 1
    For regular: Jan 1
    These dates are for harvard, but all unis have around the same dates.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about this but I read it on some Harvard book (?) They were very impressed with this guy who had like 8 SAT II ( mostly 800's ) and apparently if you try a subject you haven't normally studied they might be happily surprised ... also keep in mind that most ivies you listed (& Stanford ) want to see a real passion outside school so once you get the scores that's what makes the difference.
    I think there's is also a video on youtube where a Yale admission officer explain the admission process for UK applicants , and you should definitely get the Michel Hernandez book about admission - A is for Admission I think - that is helpful

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Ask people over at CC, they can do much more than us and give more advice than TSR.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAROLAL1)
    I'm not sure about this but I read it on some Harvard book (?) They were very impressed with this guy who had like 8 SAT II ( mostly 800's ) and apparently if you try a subject you haven't normally studied they might be happily surprised ... also keep in mind that most ivies you listed (& Stanford ) want to see a real passion outside school so once you get the scores that's what makes the difference.
    I think there's is also a video on youtube where a Yale admission officer explain the admission process for UK applicants , and you should definitely get the Michel Hernandez book about admission - A is for Admission I think - that is helpful
    Those essays...

ReputationRep:
    Those essays...
    Those essays are just terrible D: so many

ReputationRep:
    Those essays are just terrible D: so many
    You want to read mine?

ReputationRep:
    You want to read mine?
    Sure Where are you applying at ?

ReputationRep:
    What's your module for history A level?
    Module? Well, I'm doing America and Vietnam for one module and the second hasn't been told to me yet as it was changed late.

ReputationRep:
    Test dates: http://sat.collegeboard.org/register...national-dates

I recommend you do them between the Sept-October time frame as you should have studies the SAT2 test by then. Start at August, 3-5 months should be enough for sat2s.

As for SATs/ACT, do them around Nov-dec Are you going for early decision programs?

The dates above I assume are regular decisions.

For early its: November 1
    For regular: Jan 1
    These dates are for harvard, but all unis have around the same dates.

Of my AS or A2 Year?

ReputationRep:
    Great; thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Module? Well, I'm doing America and Vietnam for one module and the second hasn't been told to me yet as it was changed late.
    Do USH, I think you can manage it.

ReputationRep:
    Do USH, I think you can manage it.
    I shall. Would you possibly PM me?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.