Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like I know longer know my sis. She goes out everyday wit her freinds. When she does spend anytime with me her mind is somewhere else, always thinking about what she's gonna do with her friends.Although i think its fine to spend time with friends, i feel like even the little time she spends with me she is not fully there.

She also lies to me and my siblings a lot about wher she is going, we don't understand why.Half the time she is with her boyfriend, but she lies that she's going with her friends, Idk why she isnt honest.It's reallly making me hate her right now :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel like I know longer know my sis. She goes out everyday wit her freinds. When she does spend anytime with me her mind is somewhere else, always thinking about what she's gonna do with her friends.Although i think its fine to spend time with friends, i feel like even the little time she spends with me she is not fully there.

She also lies to me and my siblings a lot about wher she is going, we don't understand why.Half the time she is with her boyfriend, but she lies that she's going with her friends, Idk why she isnt honest.It's reallly making me hate her right now :/
    It's not an issue unique to you, looking around at how people are these days. It's unfortunate and I'm afraid I can't suggest something that's guaranteed to work.

However, I'd advise that you try to treat her as a more mature and potentially responsible person - treat her more like a peer, do your best not to judge and criticise too much (not at all implying that you do, btw), try to increase the common ground between the 2 of you, do something together (- as a family and on a one-2-one level), ask her for some advice from time to time, try to consider her opinion more in various matters, and so on and so forth.

Hopefully, this will help her to open up to you again, and to eventually not feel the need to lie except rarely.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ash92:))
    It's not an issue unique to you, looking around at how people are these days. It's unfortunate and I'm afraid I can't suggest something that's guaranteed to work.

However, I'd advise that you try to treat her as a more mature and potentially responsible person - treat her more like a peer, do your best not to judge and criticise too much (not at all implying that you do, btw), try to increase the common ground between the 2 of you, do something together (- as a family and on a one-2-one level), ask her for some advice from time to time, try to consider her opinion more in various matters, and so on and so forth.

Hopefully, this will help her to open up to you again, and to eventually not feel the need to lie except rarely.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, the thing is though I never judge her and usually if she's up to something silly i would just laugh with her about it with her.I dont know why she feels the need to keep secrets from me.It really hurts, and I find it hard to talk to her sometimes, I feel like she just cuts me out of her life and is busy with her own life.The only time she does spend time with me is maybe she feels she has to, I want it to be like before, we would talk about everything and would support each other in everything.I feel so ignored by her.She's my older sister and she has been a role model to me over the years. I feel like now other people come before family with her and I feel like I have lost her support.She always just goes out an tells me I should go out with my friends (which I do) but not everyday like her.I really can't stop thinking about this, I feel so confused about the whole thing :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, the thing is though I never judge her and usually if she's up to something silly i would just laugh with her about it with her.I dont know why she feels the need to keep secrets from me.It really hurts, and I find it hard to talk to her sometimes, I feel like she just cuts me out of her life and is busy with her own life.The only time she does spend time with me is maybe she feels she has to, I want it to be like before, we would talk about everything and would support each other in everything.I feel so ignored by her.She's my older sister and she has been a role model to me over the years. I feel like now other people come before family with her and I feel like I have lost her support.She always just goes out an tells me I should go out with my friends (which I do) but not everyday like her.I really can't stop thinking about this, I feel so confused about the whole thing :/

Oh, I assumed it was a younger sister. It's hard to guess why she feels the need. It might just be a phase :dontknow:

Hmmm, so it does seem good idea to try and share some one-2-one time, doing something out if fun rather than 'I have to because it's my sibling'. And when doing so, maybe drop a few hints, mention that you miss spending time with her and having fun.

Maybe talk to her about how things seem to have changed, and how you miss your relationship with her.

Yeh, it's totally understandable :yes: Maybe she doesn't realise how much she is changing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Omg!!! Exactly the same problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.