Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can a political speech change your views? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to practice English and hear someone with a clear 'standard' British accent and somehow I stumbled upon a David Cameron speech on YouTube. After listening, I browsed through the comment section and all comments fell into two categories:
    1. supported DC before the speech and liked the speech
    2. was against DC and didn't like the speech

There wasn't a single commenter that was affected by the speech either in positive or negative way. Is here someone who has ever been convinced by a speech of a politician?

ReputationRep:
    Of course a political speech can change your views. For example if someone in that speech says everything that you agree with and would vote for, that's likely to change your view towards voting for that person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lenolay)
    I wanted to practice English and hear someone with a clear 'standard' British accent and somehow I stumbled upon a David Cameron speech on YouTube. After listening, I browsed through the comment section and all comments fell into two categories:

There wasn't a single commenter that was affected by the speech either in positive or negative way. Is here someone who has ever been convinced by a speech of a politician?
    Firstly, people who post on internet forums, including this one, are unrepresentative of general public opinion.

People, change their views as a result of a single speech when they learn a fact or an opinion from that speech of which they were not previously aware.

In the case of a well known politician talking about one of his well known core policies, he is not trying to change anyone's opinion by that speech. He is engaged in a continuous audition with voters. He is simply trying to sound more attractive to the electorate than other party leaders (and also to some extent, sound better to his supporters than his rivals in his own party).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It depends how good an orator the politician is. I severely doubt any in Britain these days would have the ability.

ReputationRep:
    Watch this and tell me if it changes your views.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

To somebody not politically active I'd suggest that a speech could change their view of the subject. Being engaged already I tend to have strong views so I'm yet to switch due to a single speech.

That being said, a speech can change your view of a person I think. For example, I was interested in better understanding the anti-EU mindset and so used to watch Farage's speech (great orator), unfortunately I found that not only did he believe that current German control was comparable to Nazi Germany but that rather than just wanting a Brexit, he stated that his desire was to bring the entire EU down. This very much gave me a much more negative impression of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    It depends how good an orator the politician is. I severely doubt any in Britain these days would have the ability.
    Only a few left now. Skinner, Galloway, Jackson. Worryingly all from the old left. Maybe I just don't notice the ones from the right, or maybe the modern-day right (including Labour) is packed with people who all look, talk, and act the same.

I do like Jacob Rees-Mogg although he's more of a 'Debate Society President' type.

ReputationRep:
    Its possible and you should definitely be keeping your self open to the possibility of a changing opinion.

For what its worth, the only person who I have had talk and who has had a significant impact on my political beliefs is slavoj zizek, a guy who is not exactly getting invited to many Downing Street dinners...

ReputationRep:
    I believe it depends on how strong ones opinion is; or rather how much they knew about the issue before forming said opinion.

Yes actually, certain political speeches played a huge roll in changing my political views over the years, I can't say any one speech made me flip coins, but many nudged me noticeabley in one direction or another.

ReputationRep:

I believe that this speech can change people's views:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      The main purpose of political speeches is usually to motivate the base of the speaker rather than to change minds on the other side.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.