Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Is anyone applying/thinking of applying for Neuroscience? I've been reading around the subject and I think it's the uni course for me!
    I have some questions to anyone who's doing the degree currently- I see UCL and Kings College do Neuroscience and I want to know what do they want from applicants and what will increase my chances of being accepted?
    What work experience/extra curricular stuff would be favourable and what books are reccommended?

I've nearly finished year twelve, studying Chemistry Biology Psychology and Health and Social Care and am predicted A's. I plan to drop Health next year, at GCSE I got all A*s, As and a B. I have bronze DOE, Challenge Society, and work in a retail store.At school I'm a house prefect, have also done Paired reading for young girls with SEN, Young Enterprise.

Work experience wise, I volunteered every week at SeeAbility. have done a week work exp at Childrens Trust Tadworth hospital and are doing more this summer at a pharmacy, mental health hospital and a care home.
    Is this relevant and how do i link this to what i've achieved?

I have a dilemma of actually where I want to go. I am not keen on the idea of leaving London and hope for either Kings or UCL but, not all Unis do straight Neuroscience! What do I do? some unis dp Biological Scirnces and within that have a module. Do I aplly for both Neuroscience and Biological Sciences?

Please reply and help me!

Apid

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I currently hold an offer from UCL to study neuroscience in Sept. 2014.

I have medical based work experience as well as I used to aspire to be a doctor (I no longer do) and no work experience for the field of neuroscience. However, I would recommend trying to find work experience in a lab (It can be very difficult to find, utilise family connections) as this will probably confirm your desire to study neuroscience. I recommend a lab as the most common career for neuroscience graduates is research (I think). The work experience you've already done is great, and although you might not see the direct link to neuroscience, its definitely there. Think about how some of the work you probably saw at the hospitals is a result of the work of neuroscientists and other researchers.

If your school does the Extended Project Qualification or something similar during the 2 A Level years, I'd try and do that and use that to show your passion for the field of neuroscience as it demonstrates a lot of skills you're likely to use during the course.

UCL does a straight neuroscience course requiring AAA. To be honest, I cant remember what the other unis want.

I hope I helped!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.