The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In fairness, mine was bought for me as a present :p:
The itchiness does go away over time. Just wear it a lot and it will soon become soft and supple like mine.

I got (on the day I came up) my Dad to buy me the Clare scarf without the crest, which means I can wear it at home without feeling pretentious and/or getting beaten up.

However my splashtop which i am soon to get with CLARE written on teh back in big yellow letters is less inconspicuous.
Reply 22
friendlyneutron
In fairness, mine was bought for me as a present :p:

I wish someone would buy me my college scarf as a gift!!!
Reply 23
Surely if everyone buys them when they come up the shop is crammed with first years and doting parents?

(Just finding an excuse for being 'tragic'!)
Reply 24
brunswick
Buying scarves etc before you even come up is so tragic.

yeah i got bored of waiting for something from the college...
I'm probably just being a bit nervy about it, but does buying college clothes intstantly mark you out as a bit of a sucker? Part of me wants a scarf, maybe... when I get there, but I was in Cam today and I felt almost compelled to slap anyone wearing "Emannuel/King's/St John's" hoodies. I also walked past a few people who inexplicably thought it was acceptable to wear their old public school blazers in public. I think it's a prejudice I'm gonna have to get over if I'm going to survive this.
Reply 26
brunswick
Buying scarves etc before you even come up is so tragic.

And never, ever buy general Cambridge stuff - it's for tourists. College and club/society stuff only.

Indeed. Very uber-keen. Especially when it's not winter yet. I got mine as a Christmas present for my first Christmas there. Don't own a hoodie or anything but do own lots of boat club related stash.

And essjaydee, I've very rarely seen people in term time in public school blazers, apart from a few drinking soc boys, but it is a bit tragic. Remember Cambridge in the summer is very different from what it will be in term time.
Reply 27
let's be fair, just because we keep reminding ourselves it's august doesn't mean the weather's going to get any better.
Reply 28
essjaydee_88
I'm probably just being a bit nervy about it, but does buying college clothes intstantly mark you out as a bit of a sucker? Part of me wants a scarf, maybe... when I get there, but I was in Cam today and I felt almost compelled to slap anyone wearing "Emannuel/King's/St John's" hoodies. I also walked past a few people who inexplicably thought it was acceptable to wear their old public school blazers in public. I think it's a prejudice I'm gonna have to get over if I'm going to survive this.

Wait till you see boat club blazers, all sorts of weird and wonderful colours all fun stuff. :smile:
No one wears anything like hoodies really that are only to do with college. College societies are a different matter, you will see all sorts of splashtops and hoodies for various boat clubs, sports clubs etcetera.
And it is very very sad to get your scarf before you come up
I only got my scarf just before going back to Cambridge for Lent term, when faced with the prospect of Cambridge wind in January. Even then, I didn't buy it - my mother knitted it for my birthday!
CamSPSer
And it is very very sad to get your scarf before you come up

This should be very obvious. Shame on you all! :smile:

And essdeejay - don't worry, I'm with you. We'll lynch them together, k?
I would love (and pay) very much to see somebody go in for an interview with a Cambridge hoodie, a Cambridge hat, their college scarf, a Cambridge bag and so on.
I plan to take my school leavers hoody with me when I go up to Cambridge.....
Take it and... burn it? Make oven gloves with it? Donate it to the needy? Sew a make-shift parachute? Turn it into a pirate flag? Use it as a tablecloth?

There's loads of stuff you can do with old school clothes! You just can't wear it after school's over, that's all.
essjaydee_88
Take it and... burn it? Make oven gloves with it? Donate it to the needy? Sew a make-shift parachute? Turn it into a pirate flag? Use it as a tablecloth?

There's loads of stuff you can do with old school clothes! You just can't wear it after school's over, that's all.

Plus, the preppy look is in fashion at the moment, so not only are you providing them with warmth clothing, you are also making them look damn hip.
essjaydee_88

Leavers hoody. As in, not an item of school clothing, something we had made when we left with all our names on it. I didn't get it until I finished school.
JohnStuartMill
Leavers hoody. As in, not an item of school clothing, something we had made when we left with all our names on it. I didn't get it until I finished school.

I've seen people wearing similar items of apparrel. I personally wouldn't, because I a) wan to forget most people I went to school with b) we don't have one and c) all the names wouldn't fit on the back of a hoodie.
JohnStuartMill

What I meant was that it's bad to wear any clothes that relate the name of your old school everywhere you go. It's just really weird. Having a list of your friends on your hoody would be... even weirder. Of course you'll want to keep it as a memento. I was, however, a bit unnerved by the 18 year old guys mincing around Cambridge in their old school colours.
I'm told that my college scarf involves salmon pink. College loyalty only goes so far...
lol... i agree

Latest

Trending

Trending