Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help with bulking , etc Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 16 year old male who wants to bulk and gain muscle. My current weight is 70KG , and im roughly 6FT. My body fat is in the region of 15-18%.

I'd like to gain muscle , about 20-30 pounds. (not sure if this is a realistic amount)

I would also like to lower my Bf to around 9-10%. Can someone explain how i can do this , in a simple way. Also , my body is not proportionate in weight , i have muscular legs , and skinny arms.

If someone could formulate a food plan and a workout plan , i'd appreciate it , im such a noob when it comes to working out

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you want to bulk...
    If you clean bulking so eating complex carbs, lots of protein and get lots of nutrients through fruit and veg, having 4-6 meals a day weighing your food and counting you macros it will be easier to maintain or lower your bf whilst building muscle but the building muscle will take longer.
    If you dirty bulk which pretty much means eating whatever the hell you want but making sure you get your protein you need and your nutrients and minerals you'll build thick heavy muscle quickly but it is an absolute ***** to shred and and cut down your bf
    This should all be down whilst working out regularly at least 4x a week. With the clean bulking you will need to incoporate a lot of cardio if you are trying to lower you body fat otherwise it won't go down so you can bulk and slowly cut at the same time. If you dirty bulk, bulk to the size you want to then focus on just cutting bf.
    Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    You can't bulk and cut at the same time. Bulk first by lifting weights, ensuring your weightlifting program is centred around compound with everything else being accessory exercises.

Eat properly, a clean diet but with enough calorie i.e. over maintenance ensure you have the right amount of protein, carbs and fat.

Remember rest and recovery is as important as lifting.

Find a good lifting program and start, once you've got to the size you've desired then start cutting. Remember bulking and strength training doesn't happen overnight, it will take months of effort, even years depending how dedicated you are.

ReputationRep:
    Aim for 5 meals a day. 500 calories a meal except for your main meal which should be about 1000 calories. Make sure you get in your protein and carbs. Some good small meal examples: Baked beans on toast, Fried egg/chicken sandwich, Bulk protein shakes. Wash everything down with milk (good for extra calories and protein) and make sure you also drink a lot of water.

As for training just make sure you do all the compound exercises (deadlift, squat, bench, overhead presses) and then maybe add in some isolation movements if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    Appreciate the advice.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2000017
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotshothenry24)
    It depends on how you want to bulk...
    If you clean bulking so eating complex carbs, lots of protein and get lots of nutrients through fruit and veg, having 4-6 meals a day weighing your food and counting you macros it will be easier to maintain or lower your bf whilst building muscle but the building muscle will take longer.

If you dirty bulk which pretty much means eating whatever the hell you want but making sure you get your protein you need and your nutrients and minerals you'll build thick heavy muscle quickly but it is an absolute ***** to shred and and cut down your bf
    This should all be down whilst working out regularly at least 4x a week. With the clean bulking you will need to incoporate a lot of cardio if you are trying to lower you body fat otherwise it won't go down so you can bulk and slowly cut at the same time. If you dirty bulk, bulk to the size you want to then focus on just cutting bf.
    Hope this helped.
    Dirty bulking for a natty is idiotic - you'll spend months wasting your time cutting. Eating a calorie surplus of 500 cals is more than enough. Not that you have to calorie count - weighing yourself, you shouldn't gain much more than a lb a week - if your gaining more than that for more than a fortnight - cut your intake back/ calories.

Training definitely doesn't have to be at least 4x a week. For the noob, 4x should be the maximum if you like not sleeping sweating, being incredibly sore etc.. overtraining is real and damn painful

You also can't bulk and lower your bf%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You also can't bulk and lower your bf%
    Counter intuitively you can. Lean bulk will decrease the overall proportion of fat because you're mainly putting on muscle. Total mass goes up, fat goes up proportionally less, total fat proportion goes down. Bit of a technicality but yeh
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Counter intuitively you can. Lean bulk will decrease the overall proportion of fat because you're mainly putting on muscle. Total mass goes up, fat goes up proportionally less, total fat proportion goes down. Bit of a technicality but yeh
    In reality, if your bulking, your losing your skinny pack.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.